Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Removing doors

Old 04-03-2014, 10:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removing doors

Every spring I dread the thought of the struggle I know is coming when it comes to removing the doors on my JKU. A few years after I bought the jeep, I replaced the teflon sleeves which helped but within a year, I was back to the same situation. The salt and sand get into the hinges and shred the teflon bushings and it takes two people 20 minutes of lifting and twisting to remove each door. Has anyone found a better solution? I was thinking about a removable pin that pulls out the top instead of the pin being attached to the top hinge. then just wrestle the pin out and the door pulls away. does this exist or if I had some made and tested, would anyone else be interested?

I know those of you in warmer climates probably have no idea what I'm talking about but those of you who have fought with your doors know exactly what I'm talking about. let me know what you think.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem with only the passenger side of the jeep for whatever reason I usually just use my floor jack and a piece of wood to help prevent damage. Just gotta be careful cause once it breaks loose the door flys off!
Old 04-03-2014, 11:35 PM
JK Freak

They are a pain. First time I did it mine suddenly shot off and hit the tarmac with a thud. Repainting that door was expensive...
Old 04-04-2014, 12:41 AM
JK Freak

No problems like that here on the WestCoast
Old 04-04-2014, 04:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you ever coat the pin with grease or antiseeze? Mines not a daily driver so I don't have this issue. I would think keeping them coated with grease would help a ton.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:49 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Bushings made of Delrin will solve the problem permanently.
My doors swing freely and lift off easily.

I made these, but they are available commercially. Search this forum for delrin.

This is what the OEM bushing looks like. It's aluminum, with a teflon coating inside.

Last edited by ronjenx; 04-04-2014 at 05:08 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:57 AM
jdk
JK Freak

Shoot some penatrating oil in the hindges for a couple of days might help.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I put a thin coat of marvel mystery oil on the pins before reinstating the door and run a 30 cal cleaning swab through the hinge before putting them back on. Without bottom bolts I think mine would come off on a speed bump.

Sent using smoke signals
Old 04-04-2014, 08:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I second the derlin hingein inserts. I struggled for a good hour or more trying to get mine off, never again.

I bought mine from TMR Customs, pretty easy to swap. Just push the rim in with a screw driver and punch it out the bottom, clean the holes up and drop the new derlin ones in. Problem solved.

Here's a link...

JEEP Delrin Door Hinge Liners - Fits 4 Door Jeep JK : TMR Customs, Custom Fabrication Components for Offroad Vehicles
Old 04-04-2014, 08:37 AM
jdk
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dbmoorejr
I put a thin coat of marvel mystery oil on the pins before reinstating the door and run a 30 cal cleaning swab through the hinge before putting them back on. Without bottom bolts I think mine would come off on a speed bump.

Sent using smoke signals
Living in Texas we dont have to worry about corroision that much.

Quick Reply: Removing doors