Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Removing coolant from radiator

Old 02-08-2015, 03:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removing coolant from radiator

The radiator drain valve is impossible to get to and taking off lower radiator hose makes such a mess. I was thinking about using a hand pump or siphon hose instead to remove coolant. has anyone tried taking off the cap and using a hose down to the bottom of the radiator to do this?
Old 02-08-2015, 08:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default maybe a wet vac

what ever gets it out
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	idea2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	595904  
Old 02-08-2015, 05:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed the radiator cap is located at the side of the radiator. I am not sure yet if a siphon hose will work yet. I also noticed that the lower radiator hose is not at the bottom of the radiator! Is this common? From other posts, it seems like most are using the lower radiator hose to flush instead of the drain. It seems like this would not drain more than a gallon or so.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:31 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KClight01
The radiator drain valve is impossible to get to and taking off lower radiator hose makes such a mess. I was thinking about using a hand pump or siphon hose instead to remove coolant. has anyone tried taking off the cap and using a hose down to the bottom of the radiator to do this?
If you have something to catch the fluid when you take off the lower hose, that would be your best bet.
That way you know the rad is dry, and you may even get some of the old fluid out of the engine as well.

Is this just coolant? or antifreeze?

Antifreeze is poisonous. It will kill your grass, and don't let any pets lick it up off the ground. (or kids play around it)

Quick Reply: Removing coolant from radiator