Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Removed axle..what is this?

Old 01-02-2013, 05:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removed axle..what is this?

I removed my drivers side axle tonight and this plastic washer came out with it. I would assume it goes right back in when I put it back, but I'm not sure if it is part of the inner bearing that came loose. Any ideas?

Old 01-02-2013, 05:24 PM
JK Freak

Just a spacer to help install them from the factory. You can remove it if u want.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

exactly, this is a shim to help putting the axle back in position, got to say that it is much easier with it.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:02 PM
JK Super Freak

*****FEW***** Thank you!
Old 01-02-2013, 06:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

It is used to slide the axle in without screwing up the axle seal . If you don't use it , you run the risk of damaging the seal , then when you are all done and put in new fluid , you will see it leaking out of the end of the axle by the brakes ! Then you have to take it all apart , replace the seals then put it back together again. Ask me how I know ! HA HA ( not really funny )
Old 01-02-2013, 06:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Of course you could tell your wife that you now need to upgrade that guide from plastic to some nice Evo sleeves.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bbrown626
Of course you could tell your wife that you now need to upgrade that guide from plastic to some nice Evo sleeves.
I am actually getting ready to install my EVO gussets and skids, Artec truss and HD ball joints.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Be careful when you reinstall. One of my guides had tipped and we didn't even know they were there. The end if the axle shaft caught this and forced it 1/2 way through the seal. It the proceeded to leak diff fluid all over the place. Since I thought my seals were shot I purchased new ones and took the axles apart again but this time removing the diff and locker. Huge pain in the but for a $1.50 part.... At least I can also confirm that part is not attached to anything and it just sits in the tube helping guide the shaft through the seal.

Josh
Old 01-03-2013, 03:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dahreno
It is used to slide the axle in without screwing up the axle seal . If you don't use it , you run the risk of damaging the seal , then when you are all done and put in new fluid , you will see it leaking out of the end of the axle by the brakes ! Then you have to take it all apart , replace the seals then put it back together again. Ask me how I know ! HA HA ( not really funny )
^^^^^^^

Exactly....I also know....

Quick Reply: Removed axle..what is this?