Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Relocating winch box

Old 09-21-2013, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relocating winch box

So I recently purchase a smitttybilt x20 amphibious winch. I wanted to know how to extend the wiring so I can mount the power box underneath the hood and off the top of the winch. Any write ups tips or why I shouldn't would be appreciated as always
Old 09-22-2013, 04:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I know some companies make a relocation kit, or i just bought 4 gauge automotive wire with 5/16 terminal ends and put my box in my glove box
Old 09-22-2013, 04:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I went to a local Oxygen delivery/ welding supply store (James O2) which had 2 ga wire and bought ((3x)) 7ft length. They also crimped rings on the end for me. [For the red/yellow/black that go TO the winch from solenoid] Total cost around $100. Then mounted the solenoid box in the recess in front of the stock battery and IT'S a Snug fit. I had to relocate this piece to allow the box to fit --

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130922_083612.jpg
Views:	684
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	499382

By just sliding it up off its mounting bracket and carefully placing it beside the solenoid box. It all fits snug and the respective wires/hoses are secure and functioning with no binds/pinches/tight bends.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:51 AM
JK Newbie

I got a 50ft roll of heavy gauge battery cable and a bunch of ring terminals. I used a center punch and hammer to crimp my ends.
I put my rear control box in the small storage space under the trap boor in the back and my front control box is in the storage box on my bumper.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00310.jpg
Views:	660
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	499452  
Old 09-25-2013, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bumppppp. My main question is how to actually wire it all up. Is there a write up for this
Old 09-25-2013, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Its really easy. All you have to do is open up the solenoid box, unscrew the stock wires from their terminals, and screw on your new longer cables. Have you decided where to mount the box? There is space between the battery and the TIPM where you can kind of wedge it in place. I mounted mine to the TIPM cover using the existing screws under the solenoid box that used to bolt to the old mounting clamps. I can take some pictures in the morning if it will help.

There really isn't much to it, you are just using longer cables where the stock cables used to be. Just go one wire at a time to make sure that you don't mix them up.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Pictures and the type of wire used and where u got it from would be great
Old 09-26-2013, 05:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by onecrazyfuq
Pictures and the type of wire used and where u got it from would be great
I purchased the 4 gauge wire from O'Reilly's. I believe they were 6ft each in length and labeled alternator wire. Hopefully have some pictures up later my phone camera is broke so I have to wait for the wife to get home to use hers.

Just make sure both ends have eyelets rather than a battery terminal on one side or else you will need to splice one in.

Last edited by Phrogmech46; 09-26-2013 at 05:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Relocating winch box