Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Relocating muffler... glasspack??

Old 05-15-2008, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relocating muffler... glasspack??

So I'm looking to relocate and replace the stock muffler. I'm looking to reloacte it right behind the cat and run exhaust pipe out the back. My goal is to get it up and out of the way so I did get it caught on a rock or anything. Also, I wanted to go with an aftermarket muffler to decrease back pressure, free up a little HP (if any) and reduce some weight.

For those that have already done this mod, has anyone used a glasspack muffler? I'm on a really tight budget and glasspacks go for about $20, so if I don't like it, it's only $20.

Apprecaite any feedback and opinions.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:07 AM
JK Freak

I was thinking about doing the same thing. I haven't heard of it done yet, but I'm sure someone has.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKnewb
So I'm looking to relocate and replace the stock muffler. I'm looking to reloacte it right behind the cat and run exhaust pipe out the back. My goal is to get it up and out of the way so I did get it caught on a rock or anything. Also, I wanted to go with an aftermarket muffler to decrease back pressure, free up a little HP (if any) and reduce some weight.

For those that have already done this mod, has anyone used a glasspack muffler? I'm on a really tight budget and glasspacks go for about $20, so if I don't like it, it's only $20.

Apprecaite any feedback and opinions.
I tired it and the sound was way too loud. Then I tried a turbo muffler from Murrays ($40) and not only did it rust and fall apart in six months, but it melted a huge hole in my evap canister. So I just went to and exhaust shop and they put on a FlowMaster and moved it up out of the way of rocks and the canister... all for $120. I wish it were a little louder, but either way it sounds a million percent better than stock.

I just removed the stock muffler and used the pipe that's already there. I cut out a section that is essentially right under the rear of the driver seat to put the new muffler in. Then I added the longest tip I could find to the end of the pipe. It works out well because you can still use the factory hanger that is right at the rear axle. The muffler shop did the same thing after removing the piece of junk I had in there and just bent the tube up and out a little from the canister.

Good luck!
Old 05-15-2008, 10:05 AM
JK Super Freak

I have a flowmaster 40 series relocated. The whole install plus muffler package was about $150. Totally worth it. Glasspacks suck they never last and they dont sound very good.

Last edited by jeepin08; 05-15-2008 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

don't want to sound like I know it all...but
I had glasspacks on my 304V8 CJ7 and it sounded like shit. I can't even begin to imagine how a V6 with catalytic converters will sound...pretty bad IMO. Just my 2 cents. I'd hold out for a good muffler.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:34 AM
JK Freak

Here is my Dynomax UltraFlow Glass Pack " Bullet " ..... Tucked up tite to body so ROCKS don't catch it !!

http://my.project-jk.com/data/1131/medium/100_5358.jpg
Old 05-16-2008, 06:26 AM
JK Newbie

Where exactly is the catalytic converter? Is that the two bubbles in the exhaust that look like softballs? If so, is that really it?

Does anyone make headers for the JK yet?
Old 07-20-2009, 07:09 PM
JK Newbie

ive got a glass pack exhaust on mine, it alittle loud, but sounds ok, im use to to loud thow, my truck has flowmaster44 with turn downs, on a hemi, and that thing is loud.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A glasspack will probably resonate and drone like hell. If you want to try something out of the box (and that's compact), look up GMMG. I have their chambered mufflers on my Camaro. They are simple, small, stainless, and no drone
Old 07-21-2009, 12:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did a 27" long 4"wide glasspack under my seat, and kept it for a year. I didn't mind the sound, and the performance was pretty good. My wife told me I needed to make it quieter for the baby though so I got a flowmaster 40 and put it in the same place. I'm WAY happier with the flowmaster.

You pay the shipping and you can have the one in my garage if you have a 4-door. Shipping would be more than I paid for it though. lol

Quick Reply: Relocating muffler... glasspack??