Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Relocate stock muffler?

Old 07-11-2008, 05:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relocate stock muffler?

I want to get the Woods storage tub but first need to move my muffler. I love how quiet my Jeep is and don't won't a louder aftermarket muffler.

Has anyone moved the stock muffler where the Evap used to be and put a skid plate over it?? It may be too big and turn into a rock magnet!

Or does anyone know of an aftermarket muffler that is close to as quiet as stock??

Any thoughts appreciated!
Old 07-11-2008, 05:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, it's huge. You'd need a smaller one to relocate.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeepsanddrums
I want to get the Woods storage tub but first need to move my muffler. I love how quiet my Jeep is and don't won't a louder aftermarket muffler.

Has anyone moved the stock muffler where the Evap used to be and put a skid plate over it?? It may be too big and turn into a rock magnet!

Or does anyone know of an aftermarket muffler that is close to as quiet as stock??

Any thoughts appreciated!

I also have a 2 door Rubi, and am going to attempt the same project. The only difference is I already have the KIlby Evap Kit, which should work with the Woods trunk and Wood relocatin kit. My concern was heat under the drivers area.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:40 PM
JK Jedi

You may be able to find a smaller muffler, that isn't a louder "performance" unit.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

I relocated mine under the drivers seat between the frame rails

Old 07-11-2008, 07:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rooster5333
I relocated mine under the drivers seat between the frame rails

thats simular to where my muffler is. But the exit will not pass inspection. And will be dangerous when the top is on. https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/muffler-relocation-40464/

I haven't noticed any additional heat in the drivers or rear drivers side seat. Step outside the truck... you can feel the heat there. heat shield doing it's job. The muffler is a little bit louder. Magnaflow makes a longer one than this one... it would be quiter.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:18 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man
You may be able to find a smaller muffler, that isn't a louder "performance" unit.
oh for sure..just go to a muffler shop..any good one will have plenty of quality muffler's that are smaller and quiet, while still giving you performance benefits. believe it or not, muffler shops work for more than just mod'd honda owners!
Old 07-11-2008, 07:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is the muffler I'm using:

flowmastermufflers.com/products/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4020

No drone
Not very loud at all (I can't tollerate loud any more...lol)
Gained a little over 1 mpg also (numerous tank fulls, hand calculated)

I also relocated it right under the drivers seat.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

i haven't had any issues with heat under my driver side seat since installing the woods muffler relocation. the muffler isn't quiet, but it isn't overly loud either.

Quick Reply: Relocate stock muffler?