Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Reinventing my '13 JK Sport axles

Old 11-30-2015, 06:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's great! I'll let you know if I come up with any problems. I also found your link to the Mopar overstock site on one of your other axle threads. I had no idea that even existed! If my $500 rubicon housing falls through, I'll be ordering the HD from them. As it goes I'll be welding on an outer sleeve kit to achieve my wall thickness, which will save me a little money.

Thanks for the help. Time to put together my ox order.

The only question I have left is whether or not the ox carrier will work with thick gears? I'm assuming it calls for a standard r/p set, but there's a local guy here with a thick G2 set for front and rear at $200. I don't think I can turn that down if it'll work.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 11-30-2015, 07:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure about thick gears. I believe all Jk hi pinion D44 are thick gears. You'd have to check the part numbers. Check out some of the vendor's specials. I got my 5.38 Yukon gears front and rear with master instal kits for $600 shipped.

Last edited by jtphoto JK; 11-30-2015 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
Not sure about thick gears. I believe all Jk hi pinion D44 are thick gears. You'd have to check the part numbers. Check out some of the vendor's specials. I got my 5.38 Yukon gears front and rear with master instal kits for $600 shipped.
Unfortunately I can't do a matching set since I have a a rubicon front and non-rubi rear. At least, that's what I'm led to believe.

Old 11-30-2015, 03:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wildschwein
Unfortunately I can't do a matching set since I have a a rubicon front and non-rubi rear. At least, that's what I'm led to believe.

All JKs Rubicon or not use the thick gears and 3.73 and down carriers, no matter what the gear ratio is. Any JK D44 ring and pinion will fit on both a Rubi and a non Rubi D44.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Unfortunately I can't do a matching set since I have a a rubicon front and non-rubi rear. At least, that's what I'm led to believe. Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Yes you can get a package deal Rubi D44 front and non Rubi D44 rear. Just be sure you tell them it's non Rubi rear for the master instal kit. Gears are the same Rubi or not but master instal kit has different carrier bearings.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Right on, guys! Thanks!

Old 12-02-2015, 02:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, all that talk and hype about 4.56 gears and electric ox lockers and then the winds dropped a matching pair of '14 rubicon 44's from hub to hub in my shop. They're geared at 4.10, but for the cost savings I think I can live with that. It'll still be an improvement from my existing 3.73 setup.

The question is: with the Rubicon d44 up front, what strengthening is needed for trails and some novice rock crawling? We're headed to Moab for EJS this March and I want to be ready. I'm thinking c-gussets for sure, but am unsure on whether or not I need inner or outer sleeves or a truss. I'm also considering a new front cover since it's all on the bench right now anyway.

Thoughts?

Old 12-02-2015, 10:22 AM
JK Junkie

Well, all that talk and hype about 4.56 gears and electric ox lockers and then the winds dropped a matching pair of '14 rubicon 44's from hub to hub in my shop. They're geared at 4.10, but for the cost savings I think I can live with that. It'll still be an improvement from my existing 3.73 setup.

The question is: with the Rubicon d44 up front, what strengthening is needed for trails and some novice rock crawling? We're headed to Moab for EJS this March and I want to be ready. I'm thinking c-gussets for sure, but am unsure on whether or not I need inner or outer sleeves or a truss. I'm also considering a new front cover since it's all on the bench right now anyway.

Thoughts?

Truss for sure. EJS is the place you will break a stock housing. Lots of traction. So, truss and gusset for sure.

Quick Reply: Reinventing my '13 JK Sport axles