Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

reinforcing the d30 axle

Old 12-29-2010, 09:36 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mjolnir
so exactly what I said then, price it out and compare
I think WOL's point was that even after spending a bunch to upgrade the 30, it will still be a 30. If you can avoid spending money on the 30 it's a good thing! Once you've started adding to it, it's hard to throw that investment away and start over.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:39 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mjolnir
so exactly what I said then, price it out and compare
well, not exactly. my point was that there really is no comparison between the two axles and instead of wasting your money building up a dana 30 with weak shafts and small r&p, you'd be better off saving your money and investing it in a prorock 44. this would allow you to run stronger axles and a larger r&p - of course, the superior axle housing strength and beefed up c's is a perk as well.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so in buying the prorock44, do you not need to gusset and sleeve it once you get it? That is already part of the build cost?
Old 12-29-2010, 10:03 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by finnd1
so in buying the prorock44, do you not need to gusset and sleeve it once you get it? That is already part of the build cost?
the prorock 44 is built with thick tubes and comes with significantly beefier axle c's. you will not need to sleeve or gusset it.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:11 AM
JK Freak

are the steel ball joints worth $500? (the option when purchasing the prorock 44)
Old 12-29-2010, 10:18 AM
JK Newbie

could do this if youre serious about it.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:18 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

you'd be better off saving your money and investing it in a prorock 44. this would allow you to run stronger axles and a larger r&p - of course, the superior axle housing strength and beefed up c's is a perk as well.
Don't forget the built in caster correction and thicker tubes on the unlimited version!! That is a huge plus in my opinion!
Old 12-29-2010, 10:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayoflife
yes, they are a lot of $$$ but, if you do the math, building up a 30 is a lot of $$$ too and, you'll still have weak axle shafts and a small r&p. why everyone makes such a big deal about axle "housing" strength is a mystery to me. while it is nice to have a strong axle that won't bend or break, you are WAY more likely to break an axle or r&p and it happens all the time.

you should be just fine with this setup on a dana 30. getting c-gussets is a good idea as the c's are weak and will bend. if you wheel really hard, inner sleeves are good insurance to have as well.
I really appreciate your knowledge and experience as well as all the guys who responded to this. But one thing still makes me wonder.....since the 'c's are so prone to bending, and they are almost 3/4 of an inch in thickness, how will putting on a relatively small (3/16) gusset make any difference?? Seems like putting a bandaid on the Titanic.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vandegrift
I X2 that advice, and I am still saving for mine.
I think you're right....I think that I'll be fooling myself if I keep trying to bulletproof this 30. Thanks for the support.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
I think WOL's point was that even after spending a bunch to upgrade the 30, it will still be a 30. If you can avoid spending money on the 30 it's a good thing! Once you've started adding to it, it's hard to throw that investment away and start over.
You know, that makes sense to me. At this point, all I have is the 5.13's invested. I'll just play until that dreded day when it goes away. Thanks

Quick Reply: reinforcing the d30 axle