Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

reinforce front axle tubes?

Old 12-12-2008, 10:03 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Leonard Massi
Offroad Evolution makes them for a descent price. That's the same company that did WOL's monster suspension.

WOL, why did you go with offroad evolution and not Rock Krawler?
the rockkralwer kit is very nice but i wanted to keep my teraflex short arms and do a test with coilovers. i knew that off road evolution had been working hard at fine tuning their spring rates and valving and after talking to them about it at length, i was sold. of course, they are the only ones who have a coilover solution for the rear and as you know, they were able to do this through the use of their evo lever system.

Originally Posted by rocknredrubi
Not sure how I missed that...

WOL, do you know how this truss attaches to the pumpkin? I thought it was cast iron and could not be welded on.
unfortuantely, i don't know as didn't get a chance to give it a thorough enough look. however, i'm sure rockkrawler can help you out with this one
Old 12-12-2008, 10:10 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayoflife
yeah, i have seen them too but as mentioned, personally don't see any need for the reinforcement. that is, not unless you plan on jumping your jeep. while the tubes are on the small side, they seem to do just fine with 35's and they seem to be holding up well with my 37's. if anything reinforcing your C's is really what you need to do more than anything as that is a proven weak point and they will bend. and, if you're gonna play really hard and with big tires, upgrading to a D60 really is the better way to go as your axle tubes bending might just be the least of your concerns.
I would agree with that. My other main issue with trussing an axle is that when Currie, or other companies do it the prebend the axle because you are welding on one side, and it will cause your axle to bend slightly. There is no way around this and so the only way to really do it correctly is to pre-bend the tubes, and then weld. Once you are at this stage you might as well go with a entirely new axle weather it is the new Dyna Trac 44 so you can reuse the internals of a Rubi, or a Rock Jock 60.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:10 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Littlejon
I would agree with that. My other main issue with trussing an axle is that when Currie, or other companies do it the prebend the axle because you are welding on one side, and it will cause your axle to bend slightly. There is no way around this and so the only way to really do it correctly is to pre-bend the tubes, and then weld. Once you are at this stage you might as well go with a entirely new axle weather it is the new Dyna Trac 44 so you can reuse the internals of a Rubi, or a Rock Jock 60.
yup, exactly
Old 12-12-2008, 11:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JK front axles do break:

I would think sleeving the tube will strengthen the tube considerably. Its much cheaper than spending $6000 for a new D60 front axle or even $2000 for a dyntrac d44 housing. In addtion to sleeving, add EVO C gussets and a stonger trackbar brace, and you'll have a fairly stout axle for less than $300 dls.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:45 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by VictorS
JK front axles do break:

I would think sleeving the tube will strengthen the tube considerably. Its much cheaper than spending $6000 for a new D60 front axle or even $2000 for a dyntrac d44 housing. In addtion to sleeving, add EVO C gussets and a stonger trackbar brace, and you'll have a fairly stout axle for less than $300 dls.
and, as i stated before, they shouldn't. at least, not like that anyway. i am the one who took one of those photos you posted and showed it to all my industry contacts and all of them have told me that an axle tube should not shatter like that - bend, sure but catastrophically break like that, no. in fact, i can tell you that in the photo i took, chrysler replaced the broken axle under warranty and since these early breaks, i have not heard of any more problems like it.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:43 PM
JK Super Freak

I live just down the road a bit from Mt Logan, and they quoted me $200 to sleeve and gusset my D30 out the door both parts and labor. For that price how can I refuse?
Old 12-12-2008, 01:51 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by porters
I live just down the road a bit from Mt Logan, and they quoted me $200 to sleeve and gusset my D30 out the door both parts and labor. For that price how can I refuse?
Interesting, I wonder if there's a local shop in the SF Bay Area that would do this for that cheap. $200 to worry a lot less about my D30 would make me happy.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dumb question. Can you get to your axle seals after installing those sleeves?
Old 12-12-2008, 02:30 PM
JK Super Freak

They say they leave about a half inch between the sleeves and the seals so you can get them out.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:03 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by vgullotta
Interesting, I wonder if there's a local shop in the SF Bay Area that would do this for that cheap. $200 to worry a lot less about my D30 would make me happy.
the tubes on the D30 are the same on the D44. what you should be concerned with is not the D30 axle tubes but rather, the shafts and u-joints being used. trust me, you would be better served using your money to buy a set of new chromoly shafts.

Quick Reply: reinforce front axle tubes?