Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Regearing: Strengthening the Axle?

Old 08-27-2020, 05:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

The balljoints on the UD 44 are indeed factory. We kept them for now, but will be swapping them for Rare Parts or Teraflex depending on his budget.

As for my impressions with the UD 44: the brackets looked pretty thick (1/4" I think?), the end forgings were definitely beefier than stock, and overall the axle seemed much more heavy duty than stock. I like it. I think it's a great value at $2800-3000. I just priced a ProRock 44 with the comparable/the base options (5/16" tubes, OEM bj's, axle shafts, e-locker) and it put me right at $5100. The Dynatrac end forgings are definitely the beefiest and I like that you can upgrade the thickness of the tubes to 1/2", but I think the UD44 is a great option for 90% of these guys.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:10 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,942 Likes on 1,699 Posts

Originally Posted by BoraBora
The balljoints on the UD 44 are indeed factory. We kept them for now, but will be swapping them for Rare Parts or Teraflex depending on his budget.

As for my impressions with the UD 44: the brackets looked pretty thick (1/4" I think?), the end forgings were definitely beefier than stock, and overall the axle seemed much more heavy duty than stock. I like it. I think it's a great value at $2800-3000. I just priced a ProRock 44 with the comparable/the base options (5/16" tubes, OEM bj's, axle shafts, e-locker) and it put me right at $5100. The Dynatrac end forgings are definitely the beefiest and I like that you can upgrade the thickness of the tubes to 1/2", but I think the UD44 is a great option for 90% of these guys.
Thx for the thoughts. Where are you guys seeing the UD44s at that price? I had been looking on Northridge and Quadratec and seemed like they were more like $3850.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's very easy to go down a rabbit hole with all of this. The "you don't know what you don't know" factor is high.

I was reading other threads on here about how the UD44 isn't much of an upgrade over the factory axle and would likely still need C gussets. So that lead me to consider the other lower cost pre-built axle solution, G2. G2 looks to be a much improved axle overall over the UD44. But then I get into the rabbit hole that is lockers. My JK came from the factory with electronic Tru-Lok lockers. If I replace the axle I'd want something that mirrors that and connects to the same locker controls on the dash of the JK. Will the Auburn Ected locker be a plug and play option, or would I have to wire up independent controls for it?

Quick Reply: Regearing: Strengthening the Axle?