Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Regearing to stock 3.73s...would anyone even notice?

Old 08-21-2013, 12:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gibsonfirebird12
Ah, didn't see that. If you went into 6th you'd be really underpowered right?
That's with 35's but yeah I don't use 6th gear.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JKred
Also, keep in mind that if you're installing 3.73 or 4.10 gears, it's a very high probability they are used. In fact, I don't know of a single mfg that produces gears in that ratio for the JK. Richmnond gear may make a 4.10... I'm not positive....

What I'm getting at is installing used gears blows unless you can read the patter and backlash and get original shim height out of the original installation. It is a much more frustating process and it could.... not will, but could..... drive the install cost up.

Also I looked at the gear chart you posted, you're looking at a 300rpm improvement, max. Does anyone know the torque curve numbers at those RPM's?... Is the engine really going to be making that much more torque to make it worth while?

I'd guess no. And fwiw before we sold our 2012 (2 door sport, auto, 3.73's) I put my 35's on it for shits and giggles and it had power for days. I suspect 33's and 3.21's would not be an issue. But that was my seat of the pants meter comparing to my 2007 manual with 4.88's.
Yeah, as I said in my original post, they are used 3.73 from a 2010. They were taken off at 10k miles. My technician told me I'd be looking at 1k for install for everything (inc truetracs). This doesn't really seem too out in left field to me and I'd imagine just doing the truetracs alone won't be much less and I'm getting a good deal on 3.73s.

I know exactly what the improvement is in terms of RPM. While it wasn't in the original post, I'd like to know if it's worth it too. I am only going off of what people have said (3.21s are too underpowered, 3.73s are perfect for 33s or 32s). I have read that in multiple places. I just want a little extra giddy up, and everyone's like "well if you're gonna go to 3.73s might as well go to 4.10 or 4.56." Yeah you can say that, but am I really gonna need those gears if I don't plan on 35s or 37s? Wouldn't it be worth putting 3.73s in while they are doing the truetracs if it isn't much more install and I'm getting them cheap?
Old 08-21-2013, 12:35 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by gibsonfirebird12
Yeah, as I said in my original post, they are used 3.73 from a 2010. They were taken off at 10k miles. My technician told me I'd be looking at 1k for install for everything (inc truetracs). This doesn't really seem too out in left field to me and I'd imagine just doing the truetracs alone won't be much less and I'm getting a good deal on 3.73s.

I know exactly what the improvement is in terms of RPM. While it wasn't in the original post, I'd like to know if it's worth it too. I am only going off of what people have said (3.21s are too underpowered, 3.73s are perfect for 33s or 32s). I have read that in multiple places. I just want a little extra giddy up, and everyone's like "well if you're gonna go to 3.73s might as well go to 4.10 or 4.56." Yeah you can say that, but am I really gonna need those gears if I don't plan on 35s or 37s? Wouldn't it be worth putting 3.73s in while they are doing the truetracs if it isn't much more install and I'm getting them cheap?
Remember, a lot of the complaining you hear about 3.21's being so terrible and just go to 4.10 or 4.88 is from people with 3.8L. I don't get how people can say a stock 2012 with 3.21's is a dog. It’s a jeep wrangler that goes 0-60 in or just under 7 seconds lol

Regearing the 3.6L is a different animal. Some people running 37's are only gearing to 4.88 now. Really recommend getting the 33's, seeing how it feels to YOU and go from there man.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my JK with 3.73's put on 17" wheels and 315 70's on that measure 34.5" @26psi . The combo weighs 98 lbs. I'm at sea level and its borderline needing a re gear.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kh202
Remember, a lot of the complaining you hear about 3.21's being so terrible and just go to 4.10 or 4.88 is from people with 3.8L. I don't get how people can say a stock 2012 with 3.21's is a dog. It’s a jeep wrangler that goes 0-60 in or just under 7 seconds lol

Regearing the 3.6L is a different animal. Some people running 37's are only gearing to 4.88 now. Really recommend getting the 33's, seeing how it feels to YOU and go from there man.
I actually was aware of this, and all the information I found about 3.21s vs 3.73s I made sure was in regards to the 3.6L...and once again I've been using the chart as the source of my information:

3.6L chart: jeep wrangler 3.6L gear chart - Miscellaneous - Gallery - Tennessee Jeeps
3.8L chart: jeep wrangler 3.8L gear chart - Miscellaneous - Gallery - Tennessee Jeeps

According to the charts (can you tell I'm a math/statistics guy?), 3.73 is about equivalent to 4.56 on the 3.8L, which a lot of 3.8 guys tend to think is a good gear ratio. The 3.21 is equivalent to the 4.10 on 3.8L JKs, which according to many threads, is just a bit too low (numerically). BTW I am talking auto here, because that's what I have. The 3.8L manual and the 3.6L manual is a WHOLE different story.

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
I bought my JK with 3.73's put on 17" wheels and 315 70's on that measure 34.5" @26psi . The combo weighs 98 lbs. I'm at sea level and its borderline needing a re gear.
That is not surprising. You're getting about the same exact RPM as I am with 32s (31.5 measured) on those 34.5" assuming you have an automatic. If you have a manual, it's even worse.

is the risk really that great that the technician would F it up so bad that it could grenade? That's what I would be most worried about.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:46 PM
JK Junkie

Haha you're money man. Can't believe everything you hear on the Internet about what's best. Friend of mine has managed 37's with 3.21's and 3.8L for over a year.

Last words of advice, get tires then decide on regear or not lol. That's all I've got
Old 08-21-2013, 04:08 PM
JK Junkie

Ok I've followed this thread...I have 2012 2 door Jo with 3:21's, from that chart for the engine I have, it seems that 3:73 is a baby step, even if you never go above 33's

I have 285/70/17 Goodyear duratracs which aren't quite 33"

I'd love to upgrade to 4:10's but I'm holding off till I can get ARB Lockers installed during the regear... I was concerned when someone said that they didn't know of anyone selling new 4:10 gears

I guess I was assuming that they were readily available...

What are appropriate gears that are available? I have 33" now but will probably go bigger at some point...

Matthew
Old 08-21-2013, 04:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

do it! a grand is good, you don't plan on going bigger until it's paid off. it WILL be a better driving experience for you and probably feel like money well spent. the 3.21's are alright for 33s but moving up from 31's you will want some power back. and you'll love the tru trac without spending the extra on lockers.
well the dealer notice? if he's in there, yes, if he calls you out on it? Then don't turn intoa prick and he might do enough to help you out working around things.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:13 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
Ok I've followed this thread...I have 2012 2 door Jo with 3:21's, from that chart for the engine I have, it seems that 3:73 is a baby step, even if you never go above 33's

I'd love to upgrade to 4:10's but I'm holding off till I can get ARB Lockers installed during the regear... I was concerned when someone said that they didn't know of anyone selling new 4:10 gears

What are appropriate gears that are available? I have 33" now but will probably go bigger at some point...

Matthew
I hear this all the time and don't quite get it. Shoot Marcus at River City offroad a pm. I got the same quote for 4.10 or 4.56 shipped, as well as at a local shop (slightly higher tho, cuz Marcus rocks )
Old 08-21-2013, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Matthewd5

Matthew
You can buy 4.10s new. Finding them used is very tough for a non-rubicon, because you can't use rubicon gears in a non-rubicon. the only way to find 4.10s for your 2 door would be to buy new ones (alloy usa makes 4.10s, so does MOPAR, they are expensive i know because I looked in to it.), or to find someone who regeared twice (4.10s and then to something else) and grab their take offs.

the most common cheap new gears are 4.56, and that's what you'd want for true 35s or 36s. Anything below a 35 (again, how it's measured, not what it's advertised as), you'd probably want 3.73s or 4.10s. If you have low gearing with smaller tires you're going to kill your mileage, if I understand it correctly. For example, putting 4.56s (easy gear to find) in a JK with true 31s would be ridiculous overkill.

let me know if you need any more information and I can point you in the right direction. my personal opinion is that the best overall gear for 2012+ jks is 4.10. You can run 32s on them, 33s are good on them and they still have power with 35s. For me, this doesn't work. I'm never going over 33s. Getting 4.10s would just be too much and too expensive (because I won't be able to find used gears).

Originally Posted by kh202
Haha you're money man. Can't believe everything you hear on the Internet about what's best. Friend of mine has managed 37's with 3.21's and 3.8L for over a year.

Last words of advice, get tires then decide on regear or not lol. That's all I've got
Haha thanks bud. I'm not arguing with you, just bullshitting about it at this point. I'm probably gonna buy the 3.73s anyways, I'm getting a great deal on them. Whether or not I put them in, that will be a different story.

Originally Posted by 170-3tree
do it! a grand is good, you don't plan on going bigger until it's paid off. it WILL be a better driving experience for you and probably feel like money well spent. the 3.21's are alright for 33s but moving up from 31's you will want some power back. and you'll love the tru trac without spending the extra on lockers.
well the dealer notice? if he's in there, yes, if he calls you out on it? Then don't turn intoa prick and he might do enough to help you out working around things.

Thank you.

this thread has been great.

Last edited by gibsonfirebird12; 08-21-2013 at 04:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Regearing to stock 3.73s...would anyone even notice?