Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Regearing to stock 3.73s...would anyone even notice?

Old 08-21-2013, 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regearing to stock 3.73s...would anyone even notice?

Hello,

I have 3.21 gears on the 3.6L auto with open diffs. 2013 2 door sahara. I am regearing to take-off stock 3.73s from a 2010 soon. I am getting it done at a local shop and also sticking a detroit truetrac in the rear at the same time.

I don't want to have a discussion about whether this will void my warranty, this has been discussed everywhere...but more about "will anyone even notice?" I am sure if someone discovered it, my warranty would possibly be voided and I have accepted that.

How different would it look under there with the truetrac and the gears? Would it be obvious, or would someone have to do some digging to figure it out? Will 3.73's on 33s with a truetrac even possibly harm parts of my powertrain, assuming a professional install?

Thanks, any advice/input appreciated.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to hide it or make it look like OEM from the outside, black spray paint will be your friend. As soon as you take the diff cover off, any mechanic worth his salt will immediately notice the TrueTrac.

Other than voiding the gears warranty I don't see what else they could void.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

By just looking at it no one should be able to tell. If your diff grenades and they open it up it will be obvious.

As far as will it harm anything, it should be fine. Not sure why you are only doing 3.7 though. Might want to think about going higher if you will ever go with bigger tires.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brutalvette
By just looking at it no one should be able to tell. If your diff grenades and they open it up it will be obvious.

As far as will it harm anything, it should be fine. Not sure why you are only doing 3.7 though. Might want to think about going higher if you will ever go with bigger tires.
Thanks for the replies...what is "grenading"? Never heard that term.

I am going to 3.73 because I don't plan on going past 33 inch tires. 33's with 3.73s is perfect, imho. 3.21 seems too underpowered and 4.10 on the 3.6L auto will probably be too much for 33s. I've thought about it and weighed the cost and it just doesn't seem worth it when I can get 3.73s cheaply. I haven't driven either, but this is what I've gathered from my research.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are you paying for labor, and what are your tire size plans for the future? It makes no sense to pay to have 3.73's installed if you ever go above 33". I mean i have 35's and 3.21's but i plan to go to 4.10 or 4.56 in the future. Point being, 3.73 will work, but still won't be ideal. Just a thought

edit: just now read your reply above. I'd still get the 33's and try it out before you spend money on the regear. Grenading would refer to your ring and pinion breaking and having a fustercluck of shrapenel in your diff

Last edited by kh202; 08-21-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kh202
What are you paying for labor, and what are your tire size plans for the future? It makes no sense to pay to have 3.73's installed if you ever go above 33". I mean i have 35's and 3.21's but i plan to go to 4.10 or 4.56 in the future. Point being, 3.73 will work, but still won't be ideal. Just a thought
Thanks for the input bud.

Must have missed my last post. as much as I love the idea of 35s and higher gear ratio, I don't see it happening any time soon, at least not until the Jeep is paid off (lol 2019). Until then it is my daily driver, and I don't want 35s. The highest I'll go is 33s and I may even stay on 32s. I just think 4.10s would be too much for that. I would like the extra power of the 3.73s. To me the 3.21s seem a little bit underpowered on 32s. If I had 30s or 29s maybe it would make sense to not regear. Just my opinion, like I said I'm a bit inexperienced here. The TrueTrac is just an added thing that I figured I'd do while I'm regearing. I'd love to get a little extra stability in snow and rain.

The shop I go to is a one man show he quoted me $1000 for the entire job (inc. truetrac). Does that seem off? He seems really fair and not out to rip me off. I had read on here $500-$600 an axle in my area is pretty standard.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:38 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

From 3.21 to anything numerically higher in the front d30, you will need to buy a new carrier also. Should be around $70 or so. Why not just spend an extra $300 and drop in another truetrac instead of buying an open carrier?

The truetrac is a very strong, full case unit. Assuming a good install (don't assume that 'professional' = 'good', since even pro's can F-Up gear installs), it should not cause any issues whatsoever. But as noted, if someone were to pull the diff cover and look, it will be fairly obvious that you now have a traction device installed.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Going from 3.21 to 3.73 would be an absolute, complete, over exaggerated, and agrivating waste of your time and money. You wont notice a big enough change to make the dent in your pocket feel worth it. Period. You're talking a 0.62 revolution change at the pinon.

The trutrac... yes very worth it. Put it in the front too, and keep your 3.21's....

A regear is usually charged 5 hours front, 4 rear, at $100/hr shop rate. This is a common rate. Usually figure another $100 for every locker or traction aid if it involves wiring or plumbing. If it's a new case/carrier like the truetrac, it shouldn't add to the cost.

Last edited by JKred; 08-21-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have 3.7 gears in my 13 Moab with 315 duratracs which are essentially a large 33 inch tire and Its way under powered. Now mind you I have steel bumpers and a winch plus other goodies too but I tried a 0-60 run the other day and it was 9.9 seconds. I am seriously thinking about going to 4.10 or larger. Just food for thought.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gibsonfirebird12
Thanks for the input bud.

Must have missed my last post. as much as I love the idea of 35s and higher gear ratio, I don't see it happening any time soon, at least not until the Jeep is paid off (lol 2019). Until then it is my daily driver, and I don't want 35s. The highest I'll go is 33s and I may even stay on 32s. I just think 4.10s would be too much for that. I would like the extra power of the 3.73s. To me the 3.21s seem a little bit underpowered on 32s. If I had 30s or 29s maybe it would make sense to not regear. Just my opinion, like I said I'm a bit inexperienced here. The TrueTrac is just an added thing that I figured I'd do while I'm regearing. I'd love to get a little extra stability in snow and rain.

The shop I go to is a one man show he quoted me $1000 for the entire job (inc. truetrac). Does that seem off? He seems really fair and not out to rip me off. I had read on here $500-$600 an axle in my area is pretty standard.
Yeah you were typing that post at the same time i was typing mine lol. Your money man, i'd just try it out first with 33's, you might not notice much difference. And be careful what you say about not going bigger. When i bought THIS jeep, i said i was going to take it easy and baby it. Here i am 15 months later with 35's and have had it up against trees and water up to the brake pedal with the doors off paying $500 a month in gas lol

Quick Reply: Regearing to stock 3.73s...would anyone even notice?