Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

regearing question(s)

Old 08-29-2009, 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by planman
A 6 speed, at 1100 feet above sea level, with 3.73s, you will loose some rear wheel horsepower with the lower rpms from running 32s, but the lower chart applies to you.

So you'd go from 2500 rpms at 70 mph to 2300 rpms. Not the end of the world. It won't be great in windy situations or if you tow anything. It wouldn't be that great at higher elevations (i.e. Colorado or Montana). You would just rarely use 6th gear anymore if that were the case.
Thanks for the feedback and yes I have the 6spd.

I do have to grab 5th as it is now on occassion going up slight grades when towing 1500-2000lbs anyway at 70mph.

Now if I do put rubi wheels on, and it drops my rpm's to 2300 at 70mph, without towing...will I see a touch of gas milage increase or decrease???

With less RPM's you would think better gas milage but maybe the rubi BFG MT tires don't roll as well and the wheels n tires are heavier. Hummmm. Overthinking but I'm anal, and like to know & understand details.

I might go with a custom wheel 16 x 8, then put on 265/75/16's for 31.7 tall or 235/85/ 16 for 31.6 tall. Not quite a 32' but I think a rubicon suspension sits a half inch or full inch taller so, I might be proportionally equivlent anyway to make my X sit almost like a factory rubi in a way
I guess then get a dealer to flash adjust the speedo with a few minutes of their time being wacked an hr labor.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:35 PM
JK Newbie

Got my new gears installed today and wow what a difference! It's like driving an entirely different vehicle. Much more torque. I am very pleased. I do not understand why they even offer the 3.21 ratio.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:40 AM
JK Newbie

Default I bet it's for gas mileage

Originally Posted by Goranothos
Got my new gears installed today and wow what a difference! It's like driving an entirely different vehicle. Much more torque. I am very pleased. I do not understand why they even offer the 3.21 ratio.
I think they have to meet some kind of Gas mileage standard for the fleet of vehicles. I bet the slight improvement in MPG on the 3.21 may have helped offset some of those 12MPG Hemi's a little bit.

Total speculation on my part, but it's the only rational explanation for the 3.21 I can think of.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:43 AM
JK Newbie

Default BTW Same here

Originally Posted by Goranothos
By the way, I've had the same experience. I feel like I have a hundred morte horsepower!
Old 09-05-2009, 03:44 AM
JK Newbie

Yep, you are probably right.

The installer asked me if I wanted to take the 3.21s with me and I told him that I know I will never want them back and I cannot imagine anyone actually giving me money for them.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:55 AM
JK Newbie

The gear chart on this thread is the best I've ever seen. Most of them leave several unnecessary variables like OD and transmission options.

It's so complete it's almost funny. I'd LOVE to have a rig that needed 7.17 gears. It wouldn't be a speed demon, but I bet I could crush locomotives with it!
Old 09-05-2009, 03:57 AM
JK Newbie

Oh, and Robert, you asked me to post about the AEV Procal. Well, after getting my Jeep back from regearing, I drove it home, threw a few dip switches on the AEV, turned on the ignition, plugged the AEV in, horn beeped twice and speedometer was correct again. Yes, it is that simple.

The unit will let you change your axle ratio, tire size (from 24" to 54"), low tire pressure threshold (for the sensors), one touch lane change (tap you signal lever and it will make your turn signal blink three times), control your daytime running lamps by changing which lights are on or even turning them completely off , turn on/off your auto sway bar system (if you have one), clear error codes, change engine idle speed, and center your steering wheel. Not bad for $130. It locks to your VIN the first time you use it and the only way to unlock it is to reset everything back to factory spec.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:03 AM
JK Newbie

I had no idea the AEV did so much. I paid almost that much for an OBD reader a few months ago. Sounds like a great buy. Thanks for the info!
Old 09-05-2009, 02:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 2Bcamping
I'm running 4.56 gears with the stock 32" tires and love it. I will probably go with 33's next. I am at 2500 rpm in 6th at 60 mph. Lots of power in every gear now. !st gear is only useful if you are stopped. A slow rolling turn can be done in 2nd or 3rd easily. 6th gear will now accelerate uphill.
I notice the AEV programmer does not do 4.56 gears ... were you able to program your speedo correctly? I'm thinking about doing 4.56 myself ....
Old 09-05-2009, 04:23 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dmhines
I notice the AEV programmer does not do 4.56 gears ... were you able to program your speedo correctly? I'm thinking about doing 4.56 myself ....
The AEV programmer does 4.56 gears.

Here is a list of the gear ratios that the AEV programmer will do:

3.07:1
3.21:1
3.55:1
3.73:1
4.10:1
4.56:1
4.88:1
5.13:1
5.38:1
5.67:1