Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

regearing question(s)

Old 08-24-2009, 04:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running 4.56 gears with the stock 32" tires and love it. I will probably go with 33's next. I am at 2500 rpm in 6th at 60 mph. Lots of power in every gear now. !st gear is only useful if you are stopped. A slow rolling turn can be done in 2nd or 3rd easily. 6th gear will now accelerate uphill.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the 6-speed, 33s and 4.88s.

Buy your gearsets from David @ Northridge. Not only will you find it damned difficult to beat his prices, but his after sale customer service is second to none and that in and of itself is worth something. The gearsets David sold me are rebranded OE (e.g. Yukon) and were installed without much fanfare by a local professional.

I reviewed the 4.88s here including various road speeds and rpms.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/my-4-88-gear-review-98283/

Had to do over again, I would pick 4.88s and I highly recommend you choose this gear ratio. It will make a night and day difference in mountain driving, yet they remain eminently flexible around town and totally livable on the highway up to 75 mph.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:32 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for everyone's help. I've decided to order the 4.88s (and carrier) from Northridge and find a local pro to do the install. I seldom (i.e. almost never) go over 70mph, and most of my drive to work is around 60mph, so I don't think I'll have any problems, even with my current tires.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:34 PM
JK Newbie

In another thread a user named JKDON recomended RPMoffroad in Bristol for gear instalation. He says to ask for Jereme. Bristol is pretty close to you isn't it?
Northridge does look good for the parts. He's charging less for the gears than my shop did and I believe they are even the same brand of gear.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Robert
In another thread a user named JKDON recomended RPMoffroad in Bristol for gear instalation. He says to ask for Jereme. Bristol is pretty close to you isn't it?
Northridge does look good for the parts. He's charging less for the gears than my shop did and I believe they are even the same brand of gear.
Good info. Yep, I'm very close to Bristol. However, I spoke to the mechanic who used to work on my old CJ, and he said he would install them for me. Said he does about ten to fifteen a year, so I have an appointment set up for next week. He has a big shop, four bays (two with lifts) and a guy working for him. They always did good work on my CJ. Ordered the parts from Northridge. Dave was very helpful. Also got the electronic thingy that will correct my speedometer readout. I'll have to check out RPMoffroad in the future however.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:28 PM
JK Newbie

Personal experiance trumps everything else. Which Electronoc gadget are you getting? Please post how it works out for you.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JPop
The 4.88s are going to be steep for the tires you are running and even the tires you're looking to get into. With the 2.5" BB you are looking to get you can easily accommodate 315/70R17s (34s) or even move into 35s with spacers (Spidertrax are solid for around $100). Then 4.88s make some more sense, although you'll be twisting the motor a bit but it will be great off road.

The 4.10s should be off the table given your local terrain. You would still have plenty of 2 gear kick downs on the local highways and interstates. 4.56s get the job done, but might prove a little bit limiting if you move to 35s or larger in the future.

Anyway, here's a gear chart to paint a little clearer picture.

I have 16" steelies which I assume are 29" tall.
If I put on Rubicon take-off's being 32"....I will lower my RPM's at 70 MPH but loose a bit off pulling power correct?

BTW...I have 3:73's
Old 08-26-2009, 11:16 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go 4.88s, but if the cost is prohibitive then I would get a set of 4.10s from someone on here that did a gear swap on a 07 X with an auto. you could get the gears for like $150 or less.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:25 PM
JK Newbie

Personal experiance trumps everything else. Which Electronoc gadget are you getting? Please post how it works out for you.
This one. It doesn't do everything that the more expensive gadgets do, but Dave assured me it would correct my speedometer for this gear change and any future tire changes. I'll post about it after I actually use it.

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...d=AEV-30406007
Old 08-27-2009, 10:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Superchips Flashpaq is the the way to go... IMHO.

Quick Reply: regearing question(s)