Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

regearing question(s)

Old 08-22-2009, 03:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default regearing question(s)

I have a new X, 6 speed manual, 3.21 gearing, P255/75/R17 tires. I live in a mountainous area. This is my daily driver, though I will be doing some off roading. I am dissatisfied with the factory gear ratio, as I seldom to never use 6th gear, due to lack of power, even at freeway speeds. I have decided to regear, but I need help deciding which ratio I should choose. I plan to install the Teraflex 2.5 BB, and plan to run these factory tires until they wear, then replace them with P285/70/R17s, keeping the stock wheels.

So, the three gear choices that seem to make sense would be 4.1, 4.56, or 4.88.

How much money am I looking at to have this done? I'm guessing $1k+.....

I'm assuming (though I may be wrong) that the dealership will not do this. Anyone know a good shop in the Tri-Cities Tennessee area?

Should I buy the parts online and then find an installer, or should I find an installer and let them deal with getting the parts?

I only want to do this once.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Goranothos
I have a new X, 6 speed manual, 3.21 gearing, P255/75/R17 tires. I live in a mountainous area. This is my daily driver, though I will be doing some off roading. I am dissatisfied with the factory gear ratio, as I seldom to never use 6th gear, due to lack of power, even at freeway speeds. I have decided to regear, but I need help deciding which ratio I should choose. I plan to install the Teraflex 2.5 BB, and plan to run these factory tires until they wear, then replace them with P285/70/R17s, keeping the stock wheels.

So, the three gear choices that seem to make sense would be 4.1, 4.56, or 4.88.

How much money am I looking at to have this done? I'm guessing $1k+.....

I'm assuming (though I may be wrong) that the dealership will not do this. Anyone know a good shop in the Tri-Cities Tennessee area?

Should I buy the parts online and then find an installer, or should I find an installer and let them deal with getting the parts?

I only want to do this once.
Well, welcome to the hotly debated topic regarding gear ratios....
Those look like 33's your looking to throw on there. My advice...mostly mountainous terrain? Go with the 4.88's providing you don't plan to throw 35's under there anytime soon. With my 33's 6-speed and 4.10's, I find I have great off and onroad performance for my fairly flat sometimes hilly terrain...with a recent foray into some Rocky Mountain foothills I found that combo worked alright for me, but if I was loaded down more than I was or towing anything at all, it wouldn't have performed well at all....but because I may only be in that situation 2-3 times outta the year my combination provides me the right performance for my needs. Offroad going slow though I have no problems at all.

Oh, and price wise? Your definately looking at 1K plus for parts and labour, shop around for labour though
Old 08-22-2009, 10:12 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the information. What about a "carrier"? Will I need a new "carrier" to go to 4.88s or can I just buy one of these kits and find someone local to do the install?

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...INSTALL&cat=36
Old 08-22-2009, 11:10 AM
JK Newbie

Default agree about the 3.21

I used Jim's Offroad in Oakridge Tn. It may be a little far for you though. They have a great reputation in this are. I paid $2000.00 but I had other stuff done besides the ratio change. I think it would have been about $1350.00 for gear change only.

The 3.21 is AWFUL isn't it.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for the information. What about a "carrier"? Will I need a new "carrier" to go to 4.88s or can I just buy one of these kits and find someone local to do the install?

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...INSTALL&cat=36
Yes, you need a new carrier for your front 30 yes. The rear 44 is good to go for any gear size change you want, but the d30 will need a new carrier. Ensure that you purchase JK specific gears and install kits.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robert

YES its rubbish.... just came back from the desert today and there is just no power in 2nd gear, its ok when I can get some speed up and keep the revs around 2-2500rpm, but below that its useless, so most of the time im in 1st gear.

im interested about what you saying with the 4.88....... but what would I loose? Im guessing top speed? not that thats an issue in a wrangler, but I regularly drive on a highway at 75mph and its around 2200rpm i think. im guessing to get 75mph with a 4.88 ratio i'd be looking at higher revs?
Old 08-22-2009, 12:15 PM
JK Newbie

Default Higher revs

I still have the stock tires on and I run about 3250 rpm's at 70mph in 6th gear. It's tolerable but I believe it will be a lot better with 33's or 35's if I can ever decide on that mod.

In first gear I believe I could almost wheelie, but I usually just pull out in second for now.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BlackNorthernJK
Yes, you need a new carrier for your front 30 yes. The rear 44 is good to go for any gear size change you want, but the d30 will need a new carrier. Ensure that you purchase JK specific gears and install kits.
Thanks! Now, who sells the correct carrier for my front 30?
Old 08-22-2009, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Robert
I used Jim's Offroad in Oakridge Tn. It may be a little far for you though. They have a great reputation in this are. I paid $2000.00 but I had other stuff done besides the ratio change. I think it would have been about $1350.00 for gear change only.

DO NOT USE JIM'S OFFROAD IN OAK RIDGE !!!! That shop is the WORST! I considered having their shop do some work on my Jeep, but after just talking to Jim twice, I won't let them within 10 miles of my Jeep. A friend of mine need a new tie rod. For some reason, the new tie rod was missing a jam nut, so Jim's Offroad decided to weld the tie rod end onto the tie rod. Obviously, they did not bother doing an alignment, so it wasn't until my friend took his Jeep to another shop for the alignment that they discovered the welded tie rod end and the other shop refused to do the alignment. When my friend confronted Jim's Offroad about the welded tie rod end, their response was that they suggested the name of some other shop that would do the alignment. By then, my friend needed a new set of tires as well.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks! Now, who sells the correct carrier for my front 30?
Daves the man! Give him a call at northridge

Quick Reply: regearing question(s)