Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Regearing one axle......

Old 12-07-2009, 08:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regearing one axle......

....OK, hear me out first.

I am regearing both of my axles. I am buying a rear D44 that has 4.88s in it and swapping that, and have already bought the gears for my front. I am still waiting on some parts and time to work on the front, so I won't be ready to install the gears in it for a few weeks.

Here is my question: If I pull the front driveshaft, is it alright to drive around with different gears in each axle? Obviously I won't be using 4 wheel drive, but I think that without the driveshaft connected it won't have any problems. Just double checking before I do the rear swap.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:26 AM
JK Super Freak

:You should be ok doing that since the front end will be just freewheeling. No different than when you are just in two wheel drive.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you run a quick search, you will find several threads on the topic, including one regarding the more dubious practice of running temporarily with the front shaft in place with different gears.

The pinions will be spinning at different speeds, but with the front shaft removed there is no linkage between them, so the potential problem could be lubricant leakage if you do it for an extended period.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spinlock
If you run a quick search, you will find several threads on the topic, including one regarding the more dubious practice of running temporarily with the front shaft in place with different gears.

The pinions will be spinning at different speeds, but with the front shaft removed there is no linkage between them, so the potential problem could be lubricant leakage if you do it for an extended period.
I posted earlier from my phone, and the mobile version of JKF doesn't have as good of a search function.

Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nothing will link if you do not pull the flange off the housing. Just pull the 4 bolts at the diff and the 8 bolts at the t-case. I ran with no front shaft for 2 weeks while i was looking for a used front shaft.

Quick Reply: Regearing one axle......