Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

regearing BEFORE getting tires. 4.88 on stock sport

Old 12-24-2010, 11:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chknkatsu

yes you're right. but i want to build mine from the ground up. im going to start out at 33's and build up my driveline enough so if i ever want to go 35's i can with less worries of things breaking on me. this means, driveshafts. D60 or d44 in the front. controlarms, etc. i guess this all sounds kind of excessive but we will see
In my opinion. I agree you want to build your jeep really stout but you really dont need driveshafts or control arms with a budget boost under 3 inches.. A stock drive shaft is perfectly fine for 33 or 35s. More lift of 3 plus then control arms are probably needed. Tire size of 33s will not need you to get a 44 let alone a d60. I don't think your getting enough credit to what you already bought that is stock. It's a jeep. It takes abuse and your not going to break anything as long as you don't try to jump your jeep 10 feet in thee air. You said it's a daily driver so 33s are not something to replace everything out. 35s then maybe think about the d30 ( just gusset the c) but still not totally necessary for a dd. I have stock d30 and drive shafts with 4 inch lift and 35s. I wheel it often. I am sleeve and gusseting my d30 for 37s though. So for 33s or 35s do not get a d60 for dd. The d60 would be way too much. Get the pr44 if you really want to drop some cash with 35s but really not necessary at all for daily driver.

My opinion again. Get a 2.5 inch lift. Keep everything stock and get new tires either a 33s or 35s. I don't think anyone here will disagree with that !
Old 12-24-2010, 07:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SilverJK12
In my opinion. I agree you want to build your jeep really stout but you really dont need driveshafts or control arms with a budget boost under 3 inches.. A stock drive shaft is perfectly fine for 33 or 35s. More lift of 3 plus then control arms are probably needed. Tire size of 33s will not need you to get a 44 let alone a d60. I don't think your getting enough credit to what you already bought that is stock. It's a jeep. It takes abuse and your not going to break anything as long as you don't try to jump your jeep 10 feet in thee air. You said it's a daily driver so 33s are not something to replace everything out. 35s then maybe think about the d30 ( just gusset the c) but still not totally necessary for a dd. I have stock d30 and drive shafts with 4 inch lift and 35s. I wheel it often. I am sleeve and gusseting my d30 for 37s though. So for 33s or 35s do not get a d60 for dd. The d60 would be way too much. Get the pr44 if you really want to drop some cash with 35s but really not necessary at all for daily driver.

My opinion again. Get a 2.5 inch lift. Keep everything stock and get new tires either a 33s or 35s. I don't think anyone here will disagree with that !
thanks i appreciate the advice. how have your D30's been on the trails? since you run 35's i would like to know how much punishment they can really take
Old 12-24-2010, 08:01 PM
JK Freak

35's are ok with the dana 30. it really depends on how heavy your foot is. some people have ran 35's and a dana30 for years, and some have ran them for a week

im sure you can destroy a d30 with 35's though.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:31 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

And there are those who bent and/or broke their D30s with nothing more than a few forest service roads and the occasional pothole. No rocks, no mud, no heavy foot, no stupidity of any kind. Beef it up a bit, or roll the dice...
Old 12-25-2010, 12:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
And there are those who bent and/or broke their D30s with nothing more than a few forest service roads and the occasional pothole. No rocks, no mud, no heavy foot, no stupidity of any kind. Beef it up a bit, or roll the dice...
Sleeve and gussets

Quick Reply: regearing BEFORE getting tires. 4.88 on stock sport