Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Regear before hemi ok??

Old 06-03-2010, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regear before hemi ok??

I am going to hire a company to do a hemi swap this year but was going to regear to 5.13 and put in new drive shafts next month. Any issues with doing that a couple months before the hemi swap?

thanks
Old 06-03-2010, 09:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lotus03
I am going to hire a company to do a hemi swap this year but was going to regear to 5.13 and put in new drive shafts next month. Any issues with doing that a couple months before the hemi swap?

thanks
wasting money
Old 06-03-2010, 09:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lotus03

thanks
Do you need that kind of gear set, if you have a hemi?
Old 06-03-2010, 10:35 PM
JK Freak

what these guys have said, wast of money.

wth that much power u may want to drop down to 4.56

i sugest u do some more research dude, also are u swapping your front end out?? i dont want to imagine a d30 wth a hemi, u are going to rip and snap parts left and right
Old 06-03-2010, 11:13 PM
JK Junkie

You need to look at the power/torque curves for the HEMI you are considering. On the low end of the spectrum the sweet spot for the 3.8L starts at about 2100-2200 RPM so you want to be at least in that power range when you cruise. On the high end, you need to look at the RPM range when you are cruising at your typical high cruising speed and you mash the gas pedal so the tranny downshifts and the RPMs fly up.

On the low the HEMI has more torque at slightly lower RPM and and the high end the HEMI probably doesn't like to rev as high as the 3.8L. This translates to a some what lower gear ratio than that required by the 3.8L.

Quick Reply: Regear before hemi ok??