Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Regear: 3.21 to 4.88 Q's?

Old 02-07-2014, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you buy just the ring and pinion or at what point do you need the rebuild kit? When I do mine I'll most likely buy the parts then have someone else install them for me (I can't do the install, no skills.) When looking at the parts I've seen "Bearing Install Kits," "Minor Install Kits," and "Master Install Kits." Is this based on mileage or some other factor. Thanks.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Master install kits come with ring and pinion, shims, and all new bearings and such. Others you reuse your existing bearings.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Black2013JK
Can you buy just the ring and pinion or at what point do you need the rebuild kit? When I do mine I'll most likely buy the parts then have someone else install them for me (I can't do the install, no skills.) When looking at the parts I've seen "Bearing Install Kits," "Minor Install Kits," and "Master Install Kits." Is this based on mileage or some other factor. Thanks.
"They say" if your regearing due to damage (like blowing up your front diff, being a ra-tard) or have higher mileage, then go with the extra cash and get the rebuild kit. I bought the master rebuild for mine when I regeared,
A) because I blew up my front diff being a ra-tard
B) had 55k miles and to me the extra cash was worth it at the time, since I hoped to only be in there once, but I'm gonna end up getting lockers this year. Oh the well

Quick Reply: Regear: 3.21 to 4.88 Q's?