Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Regear

Old 02-02-2010, 07:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regear

OK, so I searched "How to regear" and did not find the answer. Basically, I would like to see some information, or even better a video, on the process of regearing a JK. I have a 08 Rubi and at some point would like to go to 33" (no regear for me there), but I also can not stop thinking about 35" tires either! I assume if I go to 35" a regear would be needed? Amy I right or wrong? Anyone have any links to info/video...I am a visual learner, so nothing too high tech, need to see it!
Old 02-02-2010, 08:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you have a Rubicon you can get away with not regearing but it's not gonna be ideal. Will probably have to live without overdrive and push the pedal a bit harder. Fuel consumption will also be a lot higher.
So IMO, yeah, you def need to regear for 35's
Old 02-02-2010, 08:04 AM
JK Freak

Is it a really involved process? I am sure I could get the diff covers off, but other than that...not so sure!
Old 02-02-2010, 08:12 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

As mentioned, running 35s on a Rubi is tollerable but new fears would be nice to have. Having said that, installing gears is not something I would recommend doing yourself as even experienced installer have been known to screw things up especially when dealing with the factory locker. Gears are pretty much the only thing I don't do myself.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out this post. About the most informative I have found yet.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/gearing-82262/
Old 02-02-2010, 08:39 AM
JK Freak

Nice....seriously nice post! In looking at that chart, it makes it seem like with 35" tires and 4.10 I will be in the yellow (good fuel economy). My only other concern is will I damage anything by running 35" tires without regearing. I can deal with a slower ride on the hwy and what not...I mean this is a Jeep not a Vette. However, I do not want to ruin transfer case, drivetrain etc. due to tires! I got the lifetime warranty and wonder if this would be an issue.

Aside from hwy performance, will this impact my performance in 4wd? I wheel almost monthly, nothin too crazy, but I do it and enjoy it nonetheless. Will I not be able to make it up trails or over rocks with 4.10 gears and 35" tires? Thanks again for all the info...some really good stuff here!
Old 02-02-2010, 08:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just tossed on 35's on my 08 rubi (6speed). Runs just fine street wise and I'm about to take her for a climb this weekend but my guess is it will be just fine.

Before I regear I'm going to retune anyway. For the offroading I do I should be fine regardless. Heavy rock crawling may be a different story.

Also check out this diagram:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...76&postcount=4

Gives you a decent idea about what you may need.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RubiDude
Aside from hwy performance, will this impact my performance in 4wd? I wheel almost monthly, nothin too crazy, but I do it and enjoy it nonetheless. Will I not be able to make it up trails or over rocks with 4.10 gears and 35" tires? Thanks again for all the info...some really good stuff here!
I have 35's and 4.10s and have had no problems off road at all. In 4L it crawls like normal, but then again I dont do any major rock crawling...
Old 02-02-2010, 11:52 AM
JK Freak

Is Jeep going to void my warranty with 35" Tires?
Old 02-02-2010, 03:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RubiDude
Is it a really involved process? I am sure I could get the diff covers off, but other than that...not so sure!
It is an involved process...but are you somewhat mechanically inclined? If the answer is yes, then I belive you could effectively accomplish regearing your Jeep yourself. I would say it certainly deserves a good portion of respect it gets out there for being a fairly difficult job, but at the same time it's not out of the realm of the do it yourselfer in my opinion. A few specialty tools along with a good dose of patience and a thorough understanding of what's involved should serve you well. Myself and RCJeeper have both succesfully installed our gears in our own garages. If you have any other questions I can certainly do what I can to help you out.

Quick Reply: Regear