Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Regarding MPG gains with the Superchip Programmer

Old 04-10-2009, 06:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regarding MPG gains with the Superchip Programmer

To those that have it already are any said gains based on the dash display or are you filling the tank to the filler neck, driving the vehicle, then filling it back up to the previous spot and dividing miles by gallons?

I only bring this up because, while two totally different vehicles, a Super Chip/Programmer in a Powerstroke is/was notorious for skewing the overhead MPG display by +10% which lead to a false presumption of gains.

I too am interested in a programmer and while I wouldn't buy one solely for MPG gains I definitely wouldn't want one if the MPG's are actually going to decrease.

Thanks for your reply...
Old 04-10-2009, 06:37 AM
JK Super Freak

that's an interesting question i would not mind hearing the answer from someone who has some more experience with a programmer and if they did some measuring before and after
Old 04-10-2009, 07:07 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Offroadme
that's an interesting question i would not mind hearing the answer from someone who has some more experience with a programmer and if they did some measuring before and after
I have to agree with RATM...my Edge Juice with Attitude monitor skewed my overhead Fuel consumption monitor in my Dodge Ram Diesel by 2L/100km after installing CAI, Exhaust and Edge Programmer.

So, it showed 8.8L/100km highway and I thought wow....Honda Civic numbers for a 8000lb HP/Torque monster Diesel....SWEET!!!! but hand calculating it was really 10.8L/100km. Which still is great numbers...and the programmer did improve my Fuel mileage from Stock which was 12L/100km (hand calculated).

The Superchips was different on my Dodge Magnum R/T AWD (hemi) the computer and hand calculation were within 0.1L/100km when I had the programmer.

Last edited by RevyJKU08; 04-10-2009 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RATM
To those that have it already are any said gains based on the dash display or are you filling the tank to the filler neck, driving the vehicle, then filling it back up to the previous spot and dividing miles by gallons?

Thanks for your reply...
I gotta ask do you regularly fill to the top of filler neck?
Old 04-10-2009, 07:13 AM
JK Super Freak

all i know is that i have the jet chip and i could not see any noticeable difference in the gas mileage. is was the same as it was before i put it in. so im not sure that thing is even doing anything.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:31 AM
JK Junkie

I have had my best mpg results with my Superchips Flashpaq on my truck using the premium settings and calculated with pencil and paper. I always seem to get better mileage on the premium settings than with regular or Superchips Mileage XS setting. I have not ran enough fuel to make any comparisons on my Jeep as I just haven't had it long enough.

Additionally, the tire size issues really comes into play if someone is doing the math for their tire size change and runs an automatic transmission. As shift points are determined by throttle position, rpm and speed, which all too often can lead the PCM hunting and searching for gears. Less time with the converter locked up and more torque management to soften shifts leading to poor fuel mileage.

That said, I think as much as a 5-10% increase in fuel efficiency is obtainable with premium settings and premium fuel, and potentially more if the PCM was scratching it's head with shift points. Those have been my observations with the Superchips and my truck and again I haven't ran enough fuel through the Jeep to verify.

Also, with gas at $2 a gallon it's pretty much a wash with additional mpg and the additional fuel cost. As the fuel prices go up it certainly makes more sense and was a no brainer with fuel at $4 a gallon last summer. Best of all, when you stomp it you get that little extra power.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:33 AM
JK Junkie

all i know is that i have the jet chip and i could not see any noticeable difference in the gas mileage. is was the same as it was before i put it in. so im not sure that thing is even doing anything.
That would mirror my experience with the Hypertech, although in fairness they said the headers I have installed is outside the bounds of their tune.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Where is the best price on the SC?? Sorry to highjack.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:15 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Calypso
Where is the best price on the SC?? Sorry to highjack.
David from Northridge is supposed to have them soon, if he doesn't already. But as far as I know we haven't heard from him in over a week. I think he's busy at the Moab. That said tho, we still don't know what he will be selling them for.....
Old 04-10-2009, 09:32 AM
JK Jedi

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that Jet Chip you installed "just" a chip? Meaning, you intall it and that's it....you get what you get? You do realize the SF is a programmer with custom settings. A big difference I would think....no???

Quick Reply: Regarding MPG gains with the Superchip Programmer