Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Regain fuel capacity?

Old 02-28-2021, 12:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Regain fuel capacity?

Anyone ever replace their dented up fuel tank skid plate and regain some tank capacity?
Old 02-28-2021, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 135 Likes on 120 Posts

This is a good question. I'd like to know what kind of fuel capacity I used to have..
Old 02-28-2021, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Interested as well. With the low fuel light on, the most I can fit is 14-15 gallons. I've pulled it down and beat it back into shape but I don't recall the capacity at that point in time. The 2dr should have a capacity of 18.6 gallons at dead empty.
Old 02-28-2021, 03:56 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Years ago I was the lucky recipient of a full set of RH skids from a contest on this forum. As a side note, that is the primary reason that I support this forum almost exclusively in an effort to give back to this particular community. Anyhow, my gas "skid/hanger" had been so dented up that I swore I had lost some fuel capacity. Before putting the new skid over the factory one, as that is how they all install, I lowered factory POS and fuel tank. It was a major pain IMO. For the effort, I'm not sure it was worthwhile. I was extra careful as to not bust one of the fuel line clips. Then, just banging the dents out of the factory unit was its own fun time. I do recall the bottom of my fuel tank being bowed up some. It seems things went back to normal after that, but that could be a little revisionist history as well as it was years ago. I recall thinking I'd never want to do that again. Maybe the limited capacity on a 2dr would make the payoff a little more worthwhile.

Old 02-28-2021, 06:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If it’s worthwhile I’d like to completely replace the factory skid plate with an aftermarket one. I’ve heard of people taking the factory one off, banging out the dents, and having one hell of a time putting it back on. My fuel tank only fills up to about 85%. It’s a two door.
Old 02-28-2021, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Putting it back up isn't terrible as long as you're down on "low fuel". I use ratchet straps between the tank and the skid to hold the tank up while I work the skid.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:36 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Originally Posted by DKehler
If it’s worthwhile I’d like to completely replace the factory skid plate with an aftermarket one.
The issue is that the factory skid plate is what holds the fuel tank up in place. It is more of a "hanger" than an actual skid. No aftermarket skid that I know of is going to perform that same task in that manor as they simply overlay the factory. Think about how the factory one is on the DS side.

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Putting it back up isn't terrible as long as you're down on "low fuel". I use ratchet straps between the tank and the skid to hold the tank up while I work the skid.
I did this too and still have part of that strap in there between the tank and skid. I couldn't get the strap back out when reassembling so I finally just cut it on both sides to be done. Maybe yall's 18g tank is slightly less cumbersome than the 22g tank. This was also before I replaced my cross member so removing skid plate bolts and trying to get everything lined back up was never a fun task.

Quick Reply: Regain fuel capacity?