Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Redneck ram assist install with Ruff Stuff DIY Tie Rod questions.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by larry0071
Just a note, that I'm not seeing a good way to fit a ram assist in without a drag link flip and track bar raise.
I've done several systems on JK's without a DL flip. It's tight, but it can be done in the traditional location. When using the redneck ram, the heim ends are too long. I cut the threads down to make the overall package shorter.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wrangeler X
Just installed redneck this weekend. Works great! And I am picky! Regarding the tie rod, they only time that location changes is with Reid knuckles. Not sure what you think flipping the drag link has to do with the tie rod.

Northridge 4x4
To lift the track bar you need to flip the drag link.
To mount the ram with the solid mount at the differential and the piston end at the passengers side end of the center link (you call it a tie rod) the track bar would be occupying the space that the ram is in. If the track bar axle side pivot bolt to raise 3", it would no longer be able to get down there and be in my space. To move it 3" I need to flip the drag link. That is what I think the drag link has to do with anything. Flipping the center link / Tie Rod is a matter of convenience that works on 2 fronts, get it higher so your not using it as a rock plow and moves it up where the diff cover is curving back, so it buys me back more steering. It does not have to flip, but it sure does make sense to do it if it doesn't cause issues by doing so. The Tie Rod is really no good as is and where is. You can barely turn. Useless.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:52 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How much is the stage 3 with core charge for a 2 Door? I went on their site could not find a price. Hopefully its in the BallPark range of $800. They recommend welding on the Tie Rod on their site due to the possibility of slippage.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
How much is the stage 3 with core charge for a 2 Door? I went on their site could not find a price. Hopefully its in the BallPark range of $800. They recommend welding on the Tie Rod on their site due to the possibility of slippage.
Core is $300 or was in Nov 2015
Old 04-19-2016, 03:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ringer
I've done several systems on JK's without a DL flip. It's tight, but it can be done in the traditional location. When using the redneck ram, the heim ends are too long. I cut the threads down to make the overall package shorter.
Can you give a little more detail on what you did here. At full driver my clamp kisses the diff cover so I had to shave it down some. If I can shorten things a bit it'll give me more room to tilt the ram back a bit making it more parallel to the tie rod. I just don't want to mess up the rod end of the ram
Old 04-20-2016, 02:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Monte417
Can you give a little more detail on what you did here. At full driver my clamp kisses the diff cover so I had to shave it down some. If I can shorten things a bit it'll give me more room to tilt the ram back a bit making it more parallel to the tie rod. I just don't want to mess up the rod end of the ram
I have the Ruff Stuff tie rod with 1-ton offset joints, and I have discovered that it flat out will not work with my Dynatrac 44. It does not offset enough, the only way to use it would be to severely limit the amount of steering you have available. I'll be trying to sell a brand new, unused Ruff Stuff DIY Tie Rod that is cut, welded and POR15 coated.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:36 AM
JK Super Freak

I have the Ruff Stuff tie rod with 1-ton offset joints, and I have discovered that it flat out will not work with my Dynatrac 44. It does not offset enough, the only way to use it would be to severely limit the amount of steering you have available. I'll be trying to sell a brand new, unused Ruff Stuff DIY Tie Rod that is cut, welded and POR15 coated.
Sorry I was asking about what ringer did exactly by cutting the heim joint to make it shorter
Old 04-20-2016, 03:13 AM
JK Freak

To lift the track bar you need to flip the drag link. To mount the ram with the solid mount at the differential and the piston end at the passengers side end of the center link (you call it a tie rod) the track bar would be occupying the space that the ram is in. If the track bar axle side pivot bolt to raise 3", it would no longer be able to get down there and be in my space. To move it 3" I need to flip the drag link. That is what I think the drag link has to do with anything. Flipping the center link / Tie Rod is a matter of convenience that works on 2 fronts, get it higher so your not using it as a rock plow and moves it up where the diff cover is curving back, so it buys me back more steering. It does not have to flip, but it sure does make sense to do it if it doesn't cause issues by doing so. The Tie Rod is really no good as is and where is. You can barely turn. Useless.
You stated in your second paragraph the tie rod was staying in the factory location. I'm not calling a drag link a tie rod.

Northridge 4x4
Old 04-20-2016, 03:14 AM
JK Freak

I just paid 550 plus refundable 400 core charge. Didn't include pump.

Northridge 4x4
Old 04-20-2016, 03:15 AM
JK Freak

I also used the PSC clamp. I have a chromolly tie rod and don't want to weld to it.

Northridge 4x4

Quick Reply: Redneck ram assist install with Ruff Stuff DIY Tie Rod questions.