Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Redneck ram...

Old 01-01-2015, 09:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
You need a full blown system about as much as you "need" 38x15" tires to drive down the road.
Do you even understand how big some of the speed bumps are at my local mall?
Old 01-02-2015, 12:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by VETTETHRET
Do you even understand how big some of the speed bumps are at my local mall?
I covered my desk in Copenhagen and coffee because of this... Thanks haha
Old 01-02-2015, 12:48 AM
JK Freak

It is only a partial set up and uses your box so your jeep will be down for 3-5 days. No pump, reservior, cooler, filter, or pulley. IF you are comparing it to a full blown PSC system you need to look at the whole system as the PSC is engineered for the specific vehicle and steering feel. PSC also sells a half ass system for like $690 that you send in your own box to be ported, not a huge price difference. IF price is the issue why not just port your own and buy the hoses, fittings, and ram. People are doing this for $300-+
So I spent an hour or so checking the PSC site and WTOR site (Again Ram assist is new to me). For $1474 you can send in your own box to PSC and they will port it. That option comes with their high volume pump kit.

OR

I can buy their high volume pump kit for $610 and send my box to WTOR for $550 and be into it for $1160. It looks like they would be identical systems (One box being ported by WTOR and one box being ported by PSC). Saving $310 to put towards a cooler. Unless I am missing something (Keeping my stock box), this would be the most economical way to go. I don't want to overpay for something I don't need (Hardcore rock crawling). Am I off base here if my rig is 98% on road (Yes I do need ram assist on the streets with 16" of runner on the road!)
Old 01-02-2015, 12:48 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK505
I covered my desk in Copenhagen and coffee because of this... Thanks haha
I thought that may bring a smile

Of course the hill billy in me prefers Redman and Orange Crush!
Old 01-02-2015, 04:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I do think the Redneck Ram system is "incomplete" I am not sure I like the "complete" system from PSC either. Many blown/overheated pumps, broken brackets (fixed now but early issue), and the resrvoir requires running a CAI which has proven to be an issue on the 3.6L engines (I think they just released a new bracket to fix this too).

The guys I have seen running hydraulic assist with the least amount of issue are doing it with this "incomplete" type of set up and using the stock pump.

My grandfather used to tell me "Don't fix what isn't broke". My opinon is this logic applies here.

Now, with that said you do have to make some considerations. I run 37s and only have trouble with my turning on technical and rocky trails. I opted for a 1.5" ram and am going the minamalist route. The 1.5" ram will double the steering power at the tires and not add so much a volume demand change that a higher volume pump is required. (Hopefully, I am installing now so I don't know.)

OP: Sounds like you have trouble turning on the street to the point you will definately want a 1.75" and maybe a 2" ram. Since your use is almost all street this will require a higher volume pump. PSC has kits for this where they still rebuild your gear. (I think it's a Stage 3 or 4, not sure). I would look into this.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need a full blown system about as much as you "need" 38x15" tires to drive down the road.
I'm sorry to say Dirtman said it plain and simple.

Overland -35's are just about right, nothing more-waste of money.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:24 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

I am not pushing PSC or any other brand of steering assist, just pointing out that the redneck and the do it yourself kits are not going to perform like a full blown kits that includes balanced pumps and pulls matched to the ram and type of feel you want from the steering. PSC is an expensive set up I think due to having to warrantee many of the parts that were being "field tested" by the end users. IF you want steering assist and don't care about the performance then there are options out there that are pretty cheap that get the job done.

Not sure if you are limiting your steering by increasing your steering stop, but would think you did to be able to fit those big wide tires. IF you did limit you will need to take that into consideration when ordering the ram length. A larger ram will give you more power but takes longer to fill and typically has a slower response. The power steering pump also pumps more as the RPM's increase filling the ram faster at highway speeds and can cause twitchy steering especially on vehicles that have low caster (high lifts). A big ram with a small pump will have very low response times in low speed maneuvers like parking where your RPM's tend to be low. Off road you are generally in low 4 and are running higher rpm's so it would pump more fluid. Hose diameter, length of hose, and type of fitting can also have an affect on the response times and feel of the steering. All in all it depends what you want to get out of your rig just like suspensions you need to look at the application. This is why I said half assed kit like rough country. You can compare it to a 3.5" game changer and say wtf they both give you 4" of lift but the RC is only $499 where the GC is $4k but I can assure you they don't perform the same.

Good luck with the upgrade and you might want to look up goody's thread on diy and there is also many threads on cheap hydraulic assist on JKO
Old 01-02-2015, 09:26 AM
JK Freak

PSC offers a very specific ram they suggest for JK's. I suggest you call them and get their input prior to purchase, if you decide to go that way. And you will need a high volume pump for a ram to work correctly. I know this from my own chattering steering prior to install of the correct pump. Good luck no matter what direction you go with,,, but remember,, its your steering!!! Definitely not the place to go cheap!
Old 01-02-2015, 09:40 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jnabird333
While I do think the Redneck Ram system is "incomplete" I am not sure I like the "complete" system from PSC either. Many blown/overheated pumps, broken brackets (fixed now but early issue), and the resrvoir requires running a CAI which has proven to be an issue on the 3.6L engines (I think they just released a new bracket to fix this too).

The guys I have seen running hydraulic assist with the least amount of issue are doing it with this "incomplete" type of set up and using the stock pump.

My grandfather used to tell me "Don't fix what isn't broke". My opinon is this logic applies here.

Now, with that said you do have to make some considerations. I run 37s and only have trouble with my turning on technical and rocky trails. I opted for a 1.5" ram and am going the minamalist route. The 1.5" ram will double the steering power at the tires and not add so much a volume demand change that a higher volume pump is required. (Hopefully, I am installing now so I don't know.)

OP: Sounds like you have trouble turning on the street to the point you will definately want a 1.75" and maybe a 2" ram. Since your use is almost all street this will require a higher volume pump. PSC has kits for this where they still rebuild your gear. (I think it's a Stage 3 or 4, not sure). I would look into this.
The problem I am having on the streets is with the tires so wide, they grab everything and the wheel moves around quite a bit. If the roads uneven its even worse. I ran 38x15.5 MTZ on my last rig and I put the Fox adjustable steering stabilizer and that actually helped quite a bit. I really need Ram this time around because I do go off road. Even on the streets the stock steering doesn't work because these wheels/tires are so heavy! Maybe I should start with just the Redneck Ram and Cooler, see how that does and them add the PSC Pump kit if needed? The only reason I keep coming back the the Red Neck ram is after my search in google (Probaby 11-13 reviews), I cant find one JK guy unhappy with this system, and there are two guys running 44" tires as well.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have found that the stock pump can run a 1.5" ram ok, but with the big meats you have I would run a 1.75" with a larger pump. The larger the ran diameter, the more force you will get(force=pressure*area). Flow is simply for the feel and reaction time. One thing to keep in mind is that as you increase the force, you will lose "feel" or feedback in the steering wheel. This is a method of finding a happy medium that works for your application. I run a custom adjustable pump on mine with 1450psi and adjustable flow. If you are unfamiliar with hydraulics and steering, I would get an off the shelf system from PSC, Howe, AGR(mixed reviews) or Redneck ram. Just keep in mind that you get what you pay for, and the whole system should be matched and tuned to work properly together.

Quick Reply: Redneck ram...