Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Redneck ram...

Old 01-01-2015, 01:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redneck ram...

I've done a search and really didn't come up with much. Just guys who have friends that run this set up. Is there anyone actually running this system here? My 38X15.5''s have completely overwhelmed my stock steering even on the streets and I need to address this now before I take it out wheeling. My 14 only has 900 miles on it so I assume I only need the stage 2.

Also,

Anyone know where to get it installed in Orange County? I e-mailed Rebel on Tuesday and am waiting to hear back, looking for an install shop familiar with this system.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:03 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Its a half assed system, kinda like a 4" RC lift. not sure why someone that can afford to put 38" tires on a new jeep would even be looking at it.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:07 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Its a half assed system, kinda like a 4" RC lift. not sure why someone that can afford to put 38" tires on a new jeep would even be looking at it.
Educate me, why is it a half ass system???? (I would definitely add a cooler to it) Ive seen quite a few threads for PSC where someone blew a pump or a part and PSC seems to redesign parts. Seems like more than a few failures for such an expensive system. That and all the threads I can pull up on Google, I don't see one complaint with the Redneck Ram. Im not a hard core rock crawler, more of over landing.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:56 PM
JK Super Freak

I have had been using their set up for a year and a half with no issues. They even told me they would give me a second rebuild of my steering box for free since my current steering box primary shaft is slighty bent and since it was not effecting anything they saw no reason for me to replace it. So, I have a free rebuild should I buy a new steering box. I think that is good customer service.

As for power, I can have my tire up against a tree or rock and the ram assist will move my jeep just by turning the wheel. Just be careful with that move as you can quickly break something.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Just one last comment, quite a few folks in Texas use them and they have a good rep down here.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:03 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by VETTETHRET
Educate me, why is it a half ass system???? (I would definitely add a cooler to it) Ive seen quite a few threads for PSC where someone blew a pump or a part and PSC seems to redesign parts. Seems like more than a few failures for such an expensive system. That and all the threads I can pull up on Google, I don't see one complaint with the Redneck Ram. Im not a hard core rock crawler, more of over landing.
It is only a partial set up and uses your box so your jeep will be down for 3-5 days. No pump, reservior, cooler, filter, or pulley. IF you are comparing it to a full blown PSC system you need to look at the whole system as the PSC is engineered for the specific vehicle and steering feel. PSC also sells a half ass system for like $690 that you send in your own box to be ported, not a huge price difference. IF price is the issue why not just port your own and buy the hoses, fittings, and ram. People are doing this for $300-+
Old 01-01-2015, 06:23 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
Just one last comment, quite a few folks in Texas use them and they have a good rep down here.
Thanks 2climb. I've researched all over the Internet and cant find one unhappy person that has tun their system. I just don't see too many guys here running the system. I appreciate your input
Old 01-01-2015, 06:25 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
It is only a partial set up and uses your box so your jeep will be down for 3-5 days. No pump, reservior, cooler, filter, or pulley. IF you are comparing it to a full blown PSC system you need to look at the whole system as the PSC is engineered for the specific vehicle and steering feel. PSC also sells a half ass system for like $690 that you send in your own box to be ported, not a huge price difference. IF price is the issue why not just port your own and buy the hoses, fittings, and ram. People are doing this for $300-+
So my questions for you is this. If at this point I am doing it for mostly on road and over landing, do I really need a full blown system???
Old 01-01-2015, 07:14 PM
JK Super Freak

I needed a cooler long before I needed the ram. So I already had one going into my set up. That said, coolers are cheap.

You should get a cooler regardless of set up. The oem box is crap. The bearings are the weak link and the fluid will boil if you ride a lot.

I went though two pumps before getting my cooler. Dirtman is right about redneck needing your box. The will take your box, replace your bearings with stronger ones then port it.

Last edited by 2climbbig; 01-01-2015 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:09 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by VETTETHRET
So my questions for you is this. If at this point I am doing it for mostly on road and over landing, do I really need a full blown system???
You need a full blown system about as much as you "need" 38x15" tires to drive down the road.

Quick Reply: Redneck ram...