Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Recommended AT tire anyone?

Old 08-23-2014, 01:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Duratracs are great tires. They look good and they are very quiet on the road.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fultonromero12
I don't hear people mention procomp but I have a set of their AT tires. They are wearing great. 50,000 mile tires. They do great in the snow and I've wheeled in pretty rough areas with no problem. They are pretty quiet on the hwy. give them a shot.

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
The biggest problem with Procomp is their dismal size selection.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:13 PM
JK Newbie

I have Falken wildpeaks with about 8000 miles on them on a 2014 2dr Wangler. I love them! I was a little skeptical when the dealer recommended them but they are smooth and quite. They are 35' tire on a 7 inch pro comp wheel
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2577580835.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	572662   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-581241979.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	572663  

Last edited by FLJeep; 08-23-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:41 PM
JK Super Freak

I went through a similar decision a couple weeks ago. Jeep also DD even though I use mostly the 32in set for DD. However, since getting to the trails take quite a bit of driving on highways I opted for the ATs.

Add that I do not do mudding or rock crawling. It's mostly overland with rough trails. May drive trough some puddles but do not dive on mud pits. Also wanted something that would get me through snow and icy roads.

Decided for the BFG AT T/A KO. The 35in set I'm replacing is a BFG MT, which has been flawless. Actually, one of the tires has been running with a big nail stuck to it for almost 1000 miles without leaking.

I was divided by the GoodYear Duratracs because of the accolades but my previous bad experience with GY was the final decision ppint. BF Goodrich has been flawless. The Duratracs are also softer and last a lot less, according to the reviews.

Good luck in your decision.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
I went through a similar decision a couple weeks ago. Jeep also DD even though I use mostly the 32in set for DD. However, since getting to the trails take quite a bit of driving on highways I opted for the ATs.

Add that I do not do mudding or rock crawling. It's mostly overland with rough trails. May drive trough some puddles but do not dive on mud pits. Also wanted something that would get me through snow and icy roads.

Decided for the BFG AT T/A KO. The 35in set I'm replacing is a BFG MT, which has been flawless. Actually, one of the tires has been running with a big nail stuck to it for almost 1000 miles without leaking.

I was divided by the GoodYear Duratracs because of the accolades but my previous bad experience with GY was the final decision ppint. BF Goodrich has been flawless. The Duratracs are also softer and last a lot less, according to the reviews.

Good luck in your decision.
I will have to defend the duratracs. For most they are a great tire. Mine currently have 14000 miles on them and still have 90% tread. They have a softer compound, but they also have excellent traction. Now they do take a bit of weight to balance, but they have been great. I just wish they came in 285/75r17. The 315 is to wide for me.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn
I have been. I like tall and skinny and the LT285/75R17 is a nice size.
Agreed. I have 315/70R17's right now, and I don't want to go any smaller in diameter, which the 285/75R17 would be. I would kill for a set of tires in 285/80R17.

Most of the tires mentioned in this thread are all good choices. The only one I would personally hesitate to run is the Falken WildPeak A/T (a.k.a. Falken Rocky Mountain A/T) because once its tread is partially worn, there are no sipes left - it's just 5 smooth ribs going around the tire (which is great for street performance, but worthless off-road). When it's new, it's a great tire. I wouldn't buy a set though, unless I also bought a grooving iron to restore some of its tread after it's half-worn.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:54 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by RubiconGeoff
The only one I would personally hesitate to run is the Falken WildPeak A/T (a.k.a. Falken Rocky Mountain A/T) because once its tread is partially worn, there are no sipes left - it's just 5 smooth ribs going around the tire (which is great for street performance, but worthless off-road).
Siping, or the lack thereof, isn't a great reason to kick the falken tires off the list.

At my local discount tire, siping was $8 each for my new 37" rocky mountains.

From a quick search of 285/70/17 at DTD:
Falken Rocky Mountain - $153
Nitto Terra Grappler - $187
Cooper AT3 - $220
Goodyear DuraTrac - $253

(4) Falken rocky mountain : 612 + 32 siping = $644
(4) Nitto terra grappler : $748
(4) Goodyear duratrac = $1012

Looks like you have $368 to put toward another mod if you choose the falken over the goodyear.

Last edited by nthinuf; 08-23-2014 at 06:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Recommended AT tire anyone?