Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Recommended Painting Supplies for Jeep Body Accessories

Old 04-10-2014, 08:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended Painting Supplies for Jeep Body Accessories

Oh for an extra tip to anyone wanting to powder coat their own small parts, I am a custom knife and holster maker and last year I was looking for more durable black screws. Black oxide is the standard but scratches to easily.

Anyways I decided to powder coat my own screws and found some cheap powder coat paint (powder), but didn't want to spend the $ on even a cheap electrostatic gun so I found a tek for dissolving the powder coat powder in some MEK ( methyl ethyl keytone) available anywhere paint supplies are sold, got mine at ace.

I took some powder coat and filled my airbrush jar about a third of the way then poured some MEK in the bottle and stirred.
You don't want it clumpy or pasty, but not pure liquid either just a good thin texture.

Then you airbrush on and let dry, the MEK evaporates and leaves only the powder coat.
For small parts you don't need an expensive special oven just use a common toaster oven and something to stand the parts on so they don't rest on a painted surface. For screws I just punched them into some cardboard, sprayed them and tossed em cardboard and all into the oven.

Bake at the temp needed to cure the powder coat and your done, ~$30 and you could do hundreds of small parts with a single container of the paint

Hmm maybe this is write up worthy, will think on that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by suprablaski; 04-10-2014 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just remember they are weld on sliders. If he powdercoats them, there is no way to take them off and have them touched up after they get bashed in the rocks.

If anything, Id get a can of color matched paint and a raptor liner kit. You can color match with a durable coating that can be easily touched up in the future. Plus it comes with its own paint gun.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about this idea

The raw steel looks pretty sweet, is there any sort of clear treatment that would be durable and show the raw steel right through?
Old 04-13-2014, 03:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same boat hear. Got them sitting and waiting. Wanting to go color match but need to make sure the best way to go.

Can buy color match spray cans from Quadratec, How any cans you think for jku sliders?

Couldn't I then just touch up when needed? If yes, then sending question.

Do you do a spray clear coat? And can you touch up over that?
Old 04-14-2014, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ended up going the basic route.

3 cans of rustoleum primer for 2 coats a piece.

2 cans of rustoleum truck bed-liner for 2 coats a piece.

They look great, but the bed-liner goes on very fast and thick and runs easily so watch out.

This will be easiest to maintain and touch up, and cheap.

Quick Reply: Recommended Painting Supplies for Jeep Body Accessories