Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Recommended Lift Kits

Old 01-19-2017, 05:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

One thing to keep in mind is the weight of you jeep, and the future weight of you Jeep. Different brands set up their lifts for different style Jeeps. Some, such as Teraflex are set up for light weight jeeps (stock bumpers, no winch, no armor), others like Rock Krawler and Metal Cloak are set up for more fully outfitted heavier Jeeps, and then others offer different could depending on the weight of your Jeep, like Old Man Emu.

I have the Teraflex 2.5, but have been adding weight, and will need to change out to different could in the not too distant future. I really like the way it rides with my two door, but as I add weight, I am loosing height.

Just food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 01-19-2017, 06:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverJeepAdventures
Well, I would like to do over landing with my Jeep so 2.5 inch is high but not too high seeing as I'm quite short but high enough to give me more than stock clearance. It seems though that the consensus is Teraflex what does the price usually range from? As for the shocks I would like to change out the shocks for better performance but like I said I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to lifts.
Check the vendors section on this forum.. most have forum discounts, etc.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:52 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

I would not recommend Teraflex to anyone.

If you are going to carry around a lot of gear with you while overloading you are likely going to want a coil that can handle more weight then most standard lifts offer. Old Man Emu offers coils with different rates to handle heavier loads better.
You never have said what size tires you are going to run or how complete a lift you want. Budget? Do you care about on road performance? Off road articulation? You have dozens of lifts to choose from in that size with different components offered.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

It seems though that the consensus is Teraflex what does the price usually range from?
There's really not much consensus on Teraflex. TF does have a wide variety of lifts however. So one of their offerings might fit what you're looking for. That's why everyone keeps asking you about your budget, size tires, how/where you plan to wheel your Jeep offroad, etc. Most on this forum would likely recommend a Rock Krawler or Metalcloak lift but those might not fit what you're looking for in a lift as well. However, you need to realize that most of these companies offer multiple lift kits. What comes in those kits will vary depending on your budget, upgradeability, and components used. For example, some lift kits may have a bracket extension to add to the existing OE track bar to increase the length of the track bar to accommodate for the lift amount and there's nothing wrong with that. Another version by the same vendor might have a longer replacement track bar instead. The replacement track bar lift option would cost more.

My personal favs are Mopar, AEV, and OME but that's because my main focuses for a lift are maintaining/improving on-road ride quality, price value in regards to lift component completeness, improvement of off-road capability (flex) and quality of the parts. My target budget was $1K. I don't do rock crawling, mostly snow, sand, fire road deep wood trails, hunting/fishing off road kind of stuff. I'm a 90% on road weekend warrior. If price wasn't a concern, I would also throw in Metalcloak as one of my favs but I also really dislike that gold bling look they put on their parts.

Last edited by Rednroll; 01-20-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:50 PM
JK Newbie

I'm thinking about running maybe 33 to 35 inch tires? Idk, I've been doing some research but according to that the Old Man Emu's are what everyone on the internet are say it's good for overlanding
Old 01-20-2017, 03:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by shabbernigdo
I personally went with the AEV 2.5. ride is a little stiffer then stock but not bad and i liked how it uses the stock control arms. the stock bushings have a long maintance free life span.
I'll throw out another vote for AEV. Great street manners, flat in the curves and good flex off-road. I've got a 3.5" with 35s, but a 2.5 will be fine for your rig. All of the lifts mentioned here are high quality, but I feel the AEV with the geometry correction brackets probably offers the best "all around" performance. Other lifts may perform better off-road in specific situations, but none of them really out-do it on the street. Now, adding the brackets to other lift kits may produce similar results, though.

The one drawback to the AEV kit is that it is an engineered, complete system. It really isn't designed to be upgraded like some of the other brands.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by japatton@icloud.com
I'll throw out another vote for AEV. Great street manners, flat in the curves and good flex off-road. I've got a 3.5" with 35s, but a 2.5 will be fine for your rig. All of the lifts mentioned here are high quality, but I feel the AEV with the geometry correction brackets probably offers the best "all around" performance. Other lifts may perform better off-road in specific situations, but none of them really out-do it on the street. Now, adding the brackets to other lift kits may produce similar results, though.

The one drawback to the AEV kit is that it is an engineered, complete system. It really isn't designed to be upgraded like some of the other brands.
That's an opinion and debatable. I did a lot of research before buying my lift and it came down to AEV vs. the current Mopar lifts for street manners. A few that have had both have said the Mopar has better on-road manners which is also an opinion, but at least one that has used both. As well the Mopars are said to have more flex than the AEV because of the Fox shocks on the Mopar have longer extension than the Bilstein's on the AEV and the shock is typically the limiting factor in regards to flex. The AEV lifts don't come standard with their Geo correction brackets as well, therefore they ALL could benefit by adding Geo brackets and they don't necessarily have to be AEV geo brackets. Many prefer the Rancho brackets over the AEVs. The Metalcloak game changers are also known to ride well on road, but that's a whole other level of price.

Last edited by Rednroll; 01-20-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

I'm thinking about running maybe 33 to 35 inch tires? Idk, I've been doing some research but according to that the Old Man Emu's are what everyone on the internet are say it's good for overlanding
Overlanding? Isn't that where you try to drive fast on really bumpy terrains? If that's the case, then that sounds about right because as The Dirtman mentioned previously, OME offers springs with different rates.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:24 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

no, overloading is loading up with lots of gear and doing long trips to see this beautiful country. Generally need heavier coils to carry all the gear with you.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
no, overloading is loading up with lots of gear and doing long trips to see this beautiful country. Generally need heavier coils to carry all the gear with you.
Thanks Dirtman, then it definitely sounds like he should steer away from TF in addition to the usual concerns of where their stuff is made.

Quick Reply: Recommended Lift Kits