Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Recommended lift kits?

Old 08-20-2012, 04:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also went with FT; I'm running the 3" Ultimate kit. Great ride, dial-in alignment, and easy install (Project-JK write-up).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1475129151.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	356204  
Old 08-20-2012, 09:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Orange_JK
Gjeep do you have any Pictures of your jeep for size comparison.
Here it is --

Lift - 4" Full Traction
Tires - 35” (315/70/17) Mickey Thompson MTZ
Rims - Pro Comp 7105 Xtreme

Attachment 356273

(I think that on a white Jeep, the bright lips on black rims add a nice touch.)

Last edited by GJeep; 08-20-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default lift ?

I have a 3in bds on 35's on my 11 jku and i want to go higher. im not understanding the pros and cons of long arm vs short arm. is there a reason long arms are needed. im hearing lots of conflicting storys plz educate me
Old 08-20-2012, 10:46 AM
JK Junkie

Gjeep do you have any Pictures of your jeep for size comparison.
Parked in front of a 2-door w/ stock wheels...
The angle in which this was shot makes the size difference stunning...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized --- Parking Next to another Jeep 002.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	356291

Last edited by GJeep; 08-20-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:52 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by weebus
I have a 3in bds on 35's on my 11 jku and i want to go higher. im not understanding the pros and cons of long arm vs short arm. is there a reason long arms are needed. im hearing lots of conflicting storys plz educate me
The higher you raise a JK, the more the control arms at the axle end point at the ground. The sharper the angle, the harsher the ride and the more the handling/ride quality will suffer. Long arms are mounted closer to the center, which allows them (control arms) to be more parallel to the ground/frame. This will improve how well your JK handles/rides on/off road. Now the JK has longer arms compared to a TJ. With a 3" kit you can go either way, taller than that, then you should consider it. Shorts arms are just a simple bolt in vs. long arms involves cutting/welding/drilling etc.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:10 AM
JK Newbie

Default Recommended lift.

Hey, I would recommend a:

Rubicon Express 3.5" Superflex Short Arm lift with 35" 12.50 17" NITTO Trail Grapplers, mounted on 17" Level 8 Strike Five wheels.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:15 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by weebus
With the same springs & shocks, long arms give a somewhat softer ride , because they're more level, but not a big difference IMO.
I drove Jeeps with with short & long arms, and, at least to my experience, the springs/shocks usually make much more difference in ride quality than the long arms.

The main benefit is allowing increased articulation.

The downside is that they are not bolt-on, you have to weld their connections to the frame, they're more prone to get knocked by rocks etc', as they're longer and more exposed. They're are more expensive.

Considering the pros & cons, and the impressive capabilities of a Jeep with 4" lift and "just" 35" wheels, I didn't think that long arms could give me a serious edge, and I don't like their increased vulnerability.

I don't do extreme rock crawling. Those who do, or who don't mind fixing their Jeep every now or then, may think differently.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default lift? aev

aev is now makeing a set of drop brackets so short arms can stay level on a 4 1/2 in lift. only a bout a 100 bucks i think. i might look into them
Old 08-20-2012, 11:30 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

I am wanting to lift my jeep but I want to keep it as my everyday driver but still have off road ability. I do not mud I like to trail craw please help
Since it sounds like you haven't decided on the lift height, the 2+ inch OME lift on mine has worked well. 1" extra travel, no need to change drive shafts, control arms, brake lines, etc.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:49 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
The higher you raise a JK, the more the control arms at the axle end point at the ground. The sharper the angle, the harsher the ride and the more the handling/ride quality will suffer. Long arms are mounted closer to the center, which allows them (control arms) to be more parallel to the ground/frame. This will improve how well your JK handles/rides on/off road. Now the JK has longer arms compared to a TJ. With a 3" kit you can go either way, taller than that, then you should consider it. Shorts arms are just a simple bolt in vs. long arms involves cutting/welding/drilling etc.
I basically agree.

However:

My previous JKU was fitted with air springs & long travel Fox shocks.
As a DD, it was at stock height, no lift. For wheeling, I raised it about 3"~4".
For large obstacles, I raised it all the way, which was about 10" (for short trail sections and slow speed only).
( See in the picture on the left how high the rear is, in spite of the weight leaning on the rear suspension )

It had the stock short arms.

Once the shocks were re-valved properly to suit the air springs, it rode MUCH softer than the stock coils/shocks. That was up to about 4" lift.
Above that, up to about 6" lift, it became harder, about the same as the stock suspension.
This shows that the difference in ride softness, attributed to long vs short arms, is somewhat exaggerated.
Ride quality depends more on the springs and the spring/shock combination, than on the arm length, and, BTW, so does tire pressure.

If the articulation of a 4" lift /short arms really isn't enough for you, go for the long arms.
Also, for a fixed lift of 6" or more, I'd say that long arms are 'obligatory'.

Last edited by GJeep; 08-21-2012 at 09:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Recommended lift kits?