Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Recommended lift kits?

Old 08-19-2012, 07:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended lift kits?

I am wanting to lift my jeep but I want to keep it as my everyday driver but still have off road ability. I do not mud I like to trail craw please help
Old 08-19-2012, 07:15 AM
JK Freak

How tall are you looking to go? What size tires do you want to run??
Old 08-19-2012, 07:15 AM
JK Freak

Whats your budget? How high do you want to go? Do you plan on upgrading tire size, if so, how big? Ive got Teraflex 2.5 BB with a Daystar 1" BL. I did that so I didn't have to change driveshafts out and still get enough lift to upgrade to 35's. works out perfect, cheap, easy to install, and looks great. However, not without its fault. This set up is not as rugged as some guys go, totally depends on the type of off roading you're going to do.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:18 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Atch
How tall are you looking to go? What size tires do you want to run??
that's really the first question you should be asking - with that info, others can help out.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:59 AM
JK Newbie

Well I want a minimum size of 35s but if i wanna go bigger to 37s i would like to be able to. Budget doesn't really matter. I'm not spending the money for a L.A lift because I don't need it. I originally was thinking BDS 3 in with the fixed flex end control arms. But BDS is all I know. I'm used to trucks. Jeep has alot more lifts to offer. Height I haven't decided on. I don't want huge but I want bigger than stock. I want something durable enough to last. I go to Gultches OHV park in SC with my friends but I don't wanna take my jeep till I can do stuff with it.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:13 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Orange_JK
Well I want a minimum size of 35s but if i wanna go bigger to 37s i would like to be able to. Budget doesn't really matter. I'm not spending the money for a L.A lift because I don't need it. I originally was thinking BDS 3 in with the fixed flex end control arms. But BDS is all I know. I'm used to trucks. Jeep has alot more lifts to offer. Height I haven't decided on. I don't want huge but I want bigger than stock. I want something durable enough to last. I go to Gultches OHV park in SC with my friends but I don't wanna take my jeep till I can do stuff with it.
most any complete 3" short arm lift kit (adjustable control arms, track bars, brake lines, etc) will clear 35's well and give you what you're looking for. if you have an auto, plan to get a new front drive shaft and if you have a 2-door, a rear shaft too. when it's time to go 37's, trimmed fenders will help you get there without spending too much more, if any more money. as far as brands go, do you prefer a soft ride or a firm one? more than shocks, spring rate will make a bigger difference here and different brands will have very different rates.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

What are your thoughts on the 3" BDS KIT w/Fox shocks and front stabilizer w/Fox shock? I want a nice ride on street/hwy.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:27 AM
JK Newbie

Well i flat fenders in the way if that will help on clearance and I would like if possible to have a soft ride so I don't spill my beer lol. What are some good brands. And I have a 4 door 6 speed manual Does it still need drive shafts?
Old 08-20-2012, 12:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Orange_JK
Well i flat fenders in the way if that will help on clearance and I would like if possible to have a soft ride so I don't spill my beer lol. What are some good brands. And I have a 4 door 6 speed manual Does it still need drive shafts?
ASAIK, the relatively softer springs are OME (Old Man Emu) and Full Traction.
The suspensions' behavior depends on the spring/shock combination.
You can get a soft ride only if you start with relatively soft springs. Then, you can have the shocks re-valved until you get the ride you prefer.
A real soft ride can be achieved, however, it may be too soft for offroading and the bump stops will be hit much too often.
I chose the 4" Full Traction (8 arms) because their kit is complete, the quality is high and the springs are relatively soft.
Fox shocks w/ reservoirs, Fox steering stabilizer (relocated higher).

The front driveshaft is warmly recommended for the JKU, because lifting changes its angle, and the original driveshaft isn't made for the new angle and the increased articulation.
For anything beyond mild wheeling, replacing the rear driveshaft as well is recommended.
By now, I replaced the front driveshaft only, with JE Reel 1350.

With this setup, 35" wheels (315/70/17, actually 34.5" with 30psi) and proper backspacing, the wheels rub on nothing so the stock fenders can stay.

I also installed a Full Traction CRC on the rear axle, which improved the steering both on & off road, but that's another story.

Last edited by GJeep; 08-20-2012 at 07:16 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:14 AM
JK Newbie

Gjeep do you have any Pictures of your jeep for size comparison.

Quick Reply: Recommended lift kits?