Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Recommendations on new 3 inch springs

Old 05-07-2015, 12:50 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by bombout800
I just assumed they would be too long as they are a 4-6" lift shock. I asked a question on here before and was told I would definitely want to change the shocks.
Like most anything involved with setting up your jeep, that can be a gray area. Depends on the coils you had vs the coils you get, how much actual space you have between the bumpstops, whatever else.

To run the long shocks with shorter coils, you need to consider whether the bumpstops will smash together - or the shocks will bottom out. If the shocks bottom out before the bumpstops contact, you need to add bumpstop. If you add taller bumpstops, will the shorter coils have enough free space? Or will the bumpstops constantly be contacting each other on every bump or road imperfection?

If you want to keep the longer shocks and adding bumpstop doesn't work for your particular build, are you ok with cutting off the upper shock mounts and raising them?

It is easier just to say that you need shorter shocks for the shorter coils...

Last edited by nthinuf; 05-07-2015 at 12:53 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anybody tried to get the EVO's coil rates ?
Funny how certain groups can bash TF saying their coils are too stiff or harsh.. Then praise the EPR's.
Im willing to bet they will be close or higher in spring rate.
My 2 door is up around 4" running the 3" coils.

Reading this thread i might just put the RK coils back in. If anybody is interested in Synergys coils, call or message them. synergy sells many different coils/heights and retains the rake (matched front rear)
Old 05-07-2015, 03:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just assumed they would be too long as they are a 4-6" lift shock. I asked a question on here before and was told I would definitely want to change the shocks.
Like I said if you have enough bumpstop where your shocks aren't bottoming out now you shouldn't have an issue after swapping the springs out. You won't have an issue where your shocks are going to be too long and you drop a coil out either.
Got a part number for the shocks you're running?
Old 05-07-2015, 05:58 AM
JK Junkie

I run the 4-6" fox shocks for my RK 2.5" triple rates. No issues.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20150507_085831.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	609765   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20150507_085840.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	609766  
Old 05-07-2015, 06:30 AM
JK Junkie

What is the collapse length of your shocks?
Stock is around 15" iirc
Old 05-07-2015, 09:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Has anybody tried to get the EVO's coil rates ? Funny how certain groups can bash TF saying their coils are too stiff or harsh.. Then praise the EPR's. Im willing to bet they will be close or higher in spring rate. My 2 door is up around 4" running the 3" coils. Reading this thread i might just put the RK coils back in. If anybody is interested in Synergys coils, call or message them. synergy sells many different coils/heights and retains the rake (matched front rear)
Evo won't give out their spring rates
Old 05-07-2015, 09:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Yall are killing me! I think 4" is too much for what I need. And I think my ride is suffering because of it. I got close to 5 inches or more because I run almost zero added weight from stock. So my center of gravity is high and I'm really top heavy feeling.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
What is the collapse length of your shocks? Stock is around 15" iirc
Rears

Extended Length - 27.950"

Collapsed Length - 17.350"

Travel length - 10.600

I couldn't find the fronts. I'm sure I could with a little looking
Old 05-07-2015, 10:04 AM
JK Junkie

Yall are killing me! I think 4" is too much for what I need. And I think my ride is suffering because of it. I got close to 5 inches or more because I run almost zero added weight from stock. So my center of gravity is high and I'm really top heavy feeling.
so swap the coils. You'll be fine with the shocks you have
Old 05-07-2015, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the 3" EVO plush rides with OME long travel shocks. I have a love/hate relationship with this combination. Compared to my AEV 2.5 setup, it's better, I'll admit that. I've taken this setup off-road once so far and found that the front coil actually moved in the perch (shocks have too much travel for these).

I've thought about pairing the coils with evo spec king shocks, but after several PM's with people who run them, it sounded to me like it really doesn't make a difference (they had a hard time admitting it too since they spent over $1k on shocks). Perhaps it's my E rated 35" tires that have ruined the ride, or the coil/shock combination is totally not matching up. I have a friend running stock suspension and some 32" e rated duratracs and it absorbs bumps with much less drama/jarring action than mine.

I'm at the point where I'm willing to give the Metal cloak coils a try to feel the difference. I'm scared of dual-rate coils coming from AEV and from what I've heard over at WAL (how you're always riding on the stiff side of the coil, and the soft part is compressed at ride height).

Last edited by vitodivita; 05-07-2015 at 10:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Recommendations on new 3 inch springs