Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Recommendations for a good Mud Terrain Tire that also performs well on ice

Old 04-25-2010, 08:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Nokian Vativa MT 's on mine and they worked great all winter up here in Canada and we always have icy roads in the winter no issues. I also ran with the ESP / ABS etc disabled all winter and found it performed a lot better than with all the electronic nanny shit shut off !! I barely even used 4 wheel drive this winter
Old 04-25-2010, 09:08 PM
JK Super Freak

If you have any pictures of these on your JK, I would love to see how they look.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:38 PM
JK Newbie

I am a big fan of the Mastercraft tires. They perform great in the snow and ice and come predrilled for studs for the ice. I'm waiting for my tires to wear down some so I can upgrade to the M/T.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by cfr
Have you looked at the Goodyear Duratrac? It's not a MT, but does have the snowflake symbol.
Actually I hadn't seen those yet. They look like a pretty aggressive AT with a considerable amount of siping. Good call.

I am a big fan of the Mastercraft tires. They perform great in the snow and ice and come predrilled for studs for the ice. I'm waiting for my tires to wear down some so I can upgrade to the M/T.
I have to admit, I'm a newbie when it comes to studded tires. Are they something that are added and removed as needed? (I.E. Run them without in the summer months and run them with in the Winter months?)
Old 04-26-2010, 02:52 AM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ Radial

My , Mickey Thompson MTZ Radial. I am running 3" teraflex right now and have only been able to drive it for 2 weeks this April. Here is my take on them:

-Very Low road noise
-Great tread wear so far. (12000miles)
-Deep mud = excellent
-Crawling aired down=excellent with only a couple of slips
-Snow/Ice-no slippage at all besides me goofing off in the parking lot of the ski resort

I never knew what they were until they came on the Jeep I purchased and was thinking about replacing them with BFG's. After about 4 days of trails I ran in the NW I love them.
My brother handed me a 4 wheel mag while he was in town and during their review- they rated them as the number one mud tire as compared with 5 others. I believe it was 4 Wheeler April if you need to check the source. Hope this helps
Old 04-26-2010, 03:10 AM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up BAJA MTZ Radial Pic

Just a quick pic to help.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:17 AM
JK Junkie

Manufacturers molded sipes aren't going to do as well as tires siped by a third party. Molded sipes just aren't going to have the same pronounced edge to them and it's that edge that gives you traction.

Quick Reply: Recommendations for a good Mud Terrain Tire that also performs well on ice