Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Recommendation for Extreme use of Tires

Old 05-23-2010, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendation for Extreme use of Tires

I am trying to find some tires that maybe I can get some more life from I know it is hard to find because of where I live which is my daily driving on a 4 mile steep mountain gravel road. I was hoping maybe someone could recommend a tire that has work well for them that use their Jeep for more then highway driving.

So far there are the tires I have gone though;
Goodyear Wrangler SR A 255-75-17 stock tires. I got 20,792 miles from them.

BF Goodrich AT T/A KO 265-70-17 This is what I have on there now and they are in need of replacing I have 31,429 miles

I was looking at these because all reviews were high on them but most said they were used mainly on the highway Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S LT265/70R-17/E1 121R
Old 05-23-2010, 09:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nitto Mud grapplers have great traction but will throw alot of rocks. Loud on the highway.

Goodyear duratracs might be another good option for you. Last well, reasonably quiet for an aggressive tire, and great winter traction. Ran these on my dually for a winter and only needed to uses 4x4 about 3 times.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:21 AM
JK Newbie

I also think you should consider duratracs, but if your main goal is long tread life Im not sure if the duratacs are the best option. I havent read anything on the miles people are getting out of them. Otherwise I've read nothing but good about them.

Last edited by zjnoob; 05-23-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:52 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The KOs are known to be one of the tires with longest tread life. You won't find too many tires that can match its tread life (60+K miles is not uncommon).

If you just just want to try another tire and you are concerned with tread life, then I suggest that you stick with AT tires. The MTs will wear faster due to their higher void ratio.

Unless you go with a more highway oriented tire, you probably aren't going to improve your mileage much beyond the KOs.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks I was just hoping I could find a better tire that would last more then a year and more then 30,000 miles. Maybe I should stick with the BF Goodrich AT's at lease I got 30,000 out of them.

I still wonder if anybody has used these tires ---Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S LT265/70R-17/E1 121R They are a little cheaper then the BFG's
Old 05-23-2010, 05:21 PM
JK Freak

pro-comp tires have a 40k warranty...

Quick Reply: Recommendation for Extreme use of Tires