Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Recomended upgrades after 4" lift.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Plan! I really tried hard to build out a chart for Service Descriptions and the JK. The problem is there are more than 20 different sets of spring rates to match the OEM tires and the vehicles optioned out weight, then the additional variable of customers modified weights and after market springs. I had quite a few people send me their placard data, and it just wasn't something that was workable without some sort of calculator, manufacturer chart or worksheet.

There's plenty of data online and even the more savvy tire shops don't quite get it. They understand that the service description needs to match or be higher, if they have an ounce of care, but actually updating and replacing the placard data isn't something that is done. It was something that was entered into the political discussion in the Phord/Firestone mess and was heavily lobbied against and brought us the TPMS mandate.

I wish I could do more, just don't have the time to really think it through and present it. Perhaps in the future, but I said that more than a year ago.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:47 AM
JK Newbie

I never knew tires could be that in depth!

Anyway, I'm getting ready to place an order, and I want to make sure I grab the most needed things first. Won't be able to do another but for a cpl of months, being the holidays and all. Anyway, here is a list of what I was looking at purchasing this week. Let me know what you think plz.

Front and rear extended sway links
Teraflex Flex Arm kit (short)
Front and rear drive shafts
Gussets for front axle
Rear lower coil perch relo's

do you guys see anything I missed?

How long do you think I can go before buying the adjustable track bars?

Thank you
Chad
Old 12-05-2011, 12:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ChryslerChris
Welcome!

With 4 inches you'd want d shafts especially if you wheel. If you don't, you probably won't need DS's because you'll never flex out enough to have issues.

Do you have 35's or larger on? If so, sleeves and gussets for your front axle are recommended. Regear will help make things a lot more liveable for daily driving too.

Having said all that, everything is optional. People have not done any of the above and still done ok for years.

My stock DS hit the exhaust, with and OME HD lift(3"+) and swaybars still connected with stock 32" tires. I will be getting a Woods frt DS to go with the rear, the first of the new year.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	0726111656a.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	246001  
Old 12-05-2011, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JPop
The Toyo 35x12.5x17s aren't the right tire unless you have added a lot of weight to your JK, at minimum 600lbs, but best at 800+lbs. Load Range is a pretty big basket (C,D,E) and much better to look at service description numbers. In round numbers, you can take the OEM tire service description, subtract the service description of the new tire and that will give you an idea of how much air pressure you will need to add/subtract from the door placard data for inflation rate. It's important because you may find yourself in a situation where the new tires won't support the needed inflation rate, or find yourself in a situation where you need to let so much air out that the contact patch will deflect for on road use. All tires are different, but if you end up with a calculated inflation rate below 25psi it's cause for concern and additional research.

These are the exact issues I had with two of the tires mentioned. With the 35x12.5x17 Toyo MTs they really couldn't be aired down enough for on road use as my JK was quite a bit lighter when I had them and the 35x12.5x17 Goodyear MTR Kevlars I can't put enough air in them to make them handle properly. Learning from experience and having to do it over again, I would opt for the LT315/70R17 Goodyear MTRs w/Kevlar (basically the same as the 35x12.5s) or make sure I had enough weight to roll the Toyos again.

Ideally I would like a tire with a service description in the higher hundred teens or lower hundred twenties. They would give me the flexibility to get the inflation rate in a reasonable range with whatever I decide to do when my wife and I get our second JK. As it stands now, it's just too much weight for the 35x12.5x17 Goodyear MTR Kevlars and I needed to resort to some other suspension tuning to make things closer to correct.
What are your thoughts on the Duratac tire for the same set up?
thx
Old 12-06-2011, 12:53 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Cervelo
What are your thoughts on the Duratac tire for the same set up?
thx
I really don't want to hijack this thread further, but the Duratrac 315/70R17 is right in the wheelhouse for a JK weighing between 4-5,000lbs.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:08 AM
JK Newbie

No worries about the hi jack. I'm sure it wasnt your intention! But anyway, I placed an order over at the quad, and I'm looking forward to getting it in. I got

Front and rear adj track bars and brackets
Teraflex flex arm kit
4 extended sway bar links
Front and rear d shafts
C gussets fit front end
Rear shock relo's

I didn't go with the sleeves, looks like they would cost a lot to install. I'm just keeping my eyes open for a used dana 44 front end assembly. I plan on doing sleeves n gussets on one I can find, giving me time to beef up the axle before it evens goes in the jeep. Heres a pic of the jeep. Just for the hell of it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111207_130837.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	246883  

Last edited by DvsKin; 12-07-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:11 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks again for the help planman. I actually got most of the things that you listed. I only skipped the drag link flip kit. I figure if I run into death wobble, then I will purchase it. I installed the control arms and sway bar links a few days ago, and plan on doing my drive shafts and track bars next.

I only have one more question. If I don't plan on wheeling too often, are sleeves and gussets absolutely necessary?
Old 01-02-2012, 09:31 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks again planman. I will go with the gussets, and pay someone to weld them on, no experience at all when it comes to welding! Im saving my pennies for a new front 44, that is why in trying to put off the gearing.

Quick Reply: Recomended upgrades after 4" lift.