Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

recentering Steering wheel.. stupid question

Old 09-06-2011, 10:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recentering Steering wheel.. stupid question

I have battled a little bit with getting my steering centered. First it was off to the right... then the left. Everytime I think I have it I get a small pull to the opposite direction. I had an alignment done... reduced the tire PSI, I even got new tires. My question is, should I disconnect the battery to reset the computer after I move the steering knuckle.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

the aev procal has a setting that uses your directionals to tell you when the wheels is centered based on the censor in the column
Old 09-06-2011, 06:47 PM
JK Freak

I didn't have to disconnect battery. I just made sure when I pulled into the driveway I was as straight as possible and made sure not to turn the wheels.

Since I was left to center my wheel alone, I tied string with a plumb-bob on the steering wheel bottom center and could tell which way it was off at a glance.

I know, anal, but it worked for me and tracking is perfect.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:53 PM
JK Junkie

When you're adjusting it the Jeep is running correct? If not the power steering won't fine tune itself and straighten out correctly. So the next time you drive it'll be off. This used to drive me crazy till I figured out to leave it running.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

"...should I disconnect the battery to reset the computer after I move the steering knuckle." Your steering system is a recirculating ball type system with hydraulic power assist. You have a sensor located in the steering column to gather input for the traction control system, but nothing in your steering system requires an electrical connection so disconnecting the battery has no effect on your steering.

Keep in mind the road has a crown for water run-off that causes you to pull to one side or the other. Besides that, your gear box will always have you apply gentle pressure in one direction or the other because your front end is aligned with the toe facing inward slightly. The Jeep's front tires are nearly perfectly straight when in motion, but facing towards each other by millimeters or fractions of an inch at rest.

In addition, when you center your steering wheel, the adjuster must rest in the down position with the bolts facing towards the front. So that could cause you to end up with the wheel slightly tilted left or right.

Typically what I do is use my AEV Procal to get my wheel centered by the sensor in the steering column then I rotate the adjuster over or under to achieve a "straight" position that I find comfortable and has the adjuster resting in the down position. This means that at rest, the steering wheel and front tires appear to all be facing forward but when rolling, I'm placing a constant but slight pressure on the wheel to the left (my preference). If I let go of the wheel, on a highway, it will track straight for several hundred feet before inevitably beginning to pull to one direction or the other.

So don't beat yourself up trying to achieve something your Jeep's steering system is not designed to achieve.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:15 AM
JK Newbie

Great guys awesome info. I will do one last adjustment. Then live with the pull.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by txjeeplover
In addition, when you center your steering wheel, the adjuster must rest in the down position with the bolts facing towards the front.
Please explain. Why must it rest down?
Old 09-07-2011, 06:01 AM
JK Newbie

Mine drove me nuts too. Finding a true starting point was the trick. I ended up driving down a longer road and marking where it was driving strait on my off center steering wheel. After parking put my steering wheel where the mark was and adjusting the steering wheel to center.

Quick Reply: recentering Steering wheel.. stupid question