Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear Winch Inside

Old 12-17-2011, 12:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well done GKR. Looks awesome.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:49 AM
JK Freak

Very nice setup GKR. I've tried to think of way to do this as well. I like your take on it, but I don't have the skills to pull this off. I do know some folks, so maybe I will explore this route some more. My biggest concern is the towing aspect, as I do tow some with mine. Thanks for ideas!
Old 12-17-2011, 05:05 AM
JK Freak

I took a slightly different route with the installation and cut out the cubby to get the winch as out of the way as possible. No change in departure angle. And after one season of wheeling with it on the rocks, I've had no issues with damage.

Tucked up out of the way ....
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0949.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	250863

Fairlead comes through the rear bumper...

Name:	DSC_0947.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	250864

No change to departure angles ....

Name:	DSC_0948.JPG
Views:	492
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	250865

Completely unneccessary wheeling shot...

Name:	DSC_1293.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	250866

Here is a link to the 'write-up' and more photos on the install...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...lation-project

In the spring I plan to add a small skidplate to the setup for some more insurance. I'm also thinking of configuring it so it can also be used as a suck-down winch.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's some hardcore installation when you start cutting out cross members etc but excellent installs indeed.

I'm just curious if you guys are installing a battery in the back or running the huge battery cables from the front?
Old 12-17-2011, 09:08 AM
JK Freak

No cutting of cross members was needed - actually we put one in. Battery cable ran to the front.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thats so cool.

I want a butt winch now
Old 12-17-2011, 09:32 AM
GKR
JK Newbie

I had installed a tubular crossmember which you can see the back of the winch plate is welded to. The bottom of my winch plate is on the same plane as the crossmember was so rear clearance is the same. I did run heavy cables to a solinoid under the hood. Power is sent to the rear only when needed which is activated by a switch. It's a custom bumper. I tend to carry too much crap and didn't want to give up the storage cubby. I'm actually going to cut out the factory one and make a larger one using the available space......

I moved my batteries under the rear seat but you can see the solinoid behind the fuse box. Under that is a power distrubution point.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by GKR
I've run a rear winch on my last three rigs and have found with just a bit of shielding from the elements they last just fine. On my JK I had to give up the small jack storage area and I cut out the existing crossmember. I then built a winch plate that replaced what I cut out. It's protected from the elements, pretty secure and there when I need it.

Just throwing out another option for a rear mounted winch.

and the hitch reciever is just for a trail vice, I don't tow with this.
Dude you sir are HARDCORE! That look so awesome. I think I see an on board welder...hats off to an awesome installation!

Quick Reply: Rear Winch Inside