Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear Winch Inside

Old 12-16-2011, 05:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Winch Inside

Has anyone mounted a winch inside their jeep in the rear storage compartment? Thought about an external one but mud and road salt would probably do it in. I imagine it'll probably need the stock storage cubby cut out and a larger sturdier one welded in.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by canukpenguin
Has anyone mounted a winch inside their jeep in the rear storage compartment? Thought about an external one but mud and road salt would probably do it in. I imagine it'll probably need the stock storage cubby cut out and a larger sturdier one welded in.
Slightly dangerous. And a little overkill. But if it is what you want? Just buy a cover for when not in use.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you gonna cut a hole in the tailgate for the roller fairlead? That would be hardcore..
Old 12-16-2011, 06:00 PM
JK Newbie

Its all theoretical at this point but the winch would sit in the rear cubby and run out the side of it, under the jeep and come out in the rear bumper.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Why not just use a receiver mounted winch on the back bumper and take it off when you're not out wheeling. Seems easier and you wouldn't have to put a heavy frame in the rear of your Jeep to mount the winch inside.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:13 PM
JK Newbie

A lot of the trails around here have very tight technical sections so approach and departure angles are at a premium.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Interesting idea. Subscribed for some ideas. That's be cool to do, if possible.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

I agree with using a receiver mount, but I would just secure it inside until you actually need it, not leave it in the hitch all the time. It would be out of the weather as well as more difficult to steal.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:18 PM
GKR
JK Newbie

I've run a rear winch on my last three rigs and have found with just a bit of shielding from the elements they last just fine. On my JK I had to give up the small jack storage area and I cut out the existing crossmember. I then built a winch plate that replaced what I cut out. It's protected from the elements, pretty secure and there when I need it.

Just throwing out another option for a rear mounted winch.

and the hitch reciever is just for a trail vice, I don't tow with this.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GKR
I've run a rear winch on my last three rigs and have found with just a bit of shielding from the elements they last just fine. On my JK I had to give up the small jack storage area and I cut out the existing crossmember. I then built a winch plate that replaced what I cut out. It's protected from the elements, pretty secure and there when I need it.

Just throwing out another option for a rear mounted winch.

and the hitch reciever is just for a trail vice, I don't tow with this.
That's awesome! What rear bumper are you running?

Quick Reply: Rear Winch Inside