Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear UJoint rubbing...

Old 07-10-2008, 09:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear UJoint rubbing...

Anybody else have this problem? I have a RE lift and had my JK up on a rack tonight and noticed the large ring around the U-joint has been wearing on the factory skid cover around the side of the gas tank. Some pretty good rubbing going on as it's almost worn thru. I imagine this is happening only when the rear is flexed pretty far. Would you "lifted" guys consider this normal? Any solutions? I'm assuming the actual tank is inside this cover at least a 1/2 inch of so...making it nearly impossible for the ring to contact the tank...if and when it gets thru the skid cover.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm trying to picture what you're talking about, but can't figure out what "u-joint" would be close to the gas tank, and what "ring" around it you might be referring to. Is it the driveshaft u-joint on an aftermarket shaft, maybe? Could you post a pic?
Old 07-11-2008, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine is worse.
I have Treks skids and a Tom Wood's 1350 drive shaft. The flange on the new yokes are bigger than the factory dustcover, and the skids are 3/16" plate that are off the factory skid say 1/2". When flexing it rubs and sounds like a ship going down, or a submarine at crush depth.
I plan to "clearance" the skid with the sawzall/cutoff wheel, but I may have to have the flange put on a lathe and take a 1/2" or so off.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Renegade
I'm trying to picture what you're talking about, but can't figure out what "u-joint" would be close to the gas tank, and what "ring" around it you might be referring to. Is it the driveshaft u-joint on an aftermarket shaft, maybe? Could you post a pic?
I'll try to crawl under there tonight and snap some pics. It is the flange on the Ujoint....don't know if the driveline is stock or not since I just bought it on a trade in.

Quick Reply: Rear UJoint rubbing...