Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear trackbar bracket weak point

Old 03-23-2007, 11:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by huskynox
Yes, you can leave it on the ground. With the new track bar set to the correct length you shouldn't have to do much, it should bolt right up. If not, be sure to connect the frame side first, then you can put a jack under either the left or right axle to flex the suspension in the right direction so the axle bracket and track bar bolt hole line up.

If it's a bit too short, jack the right axle, if it's a bit too long, jack the left axle.

husky~
Thanks...that's helpful. Now, i only need to make sure that with 2.5" lift, i don't need an extra relocation bracket on top of the adjustable track bar. I've emailed teraflex about this, and i'll post their response as soon as i get it
Old 03-23-2007, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bim6180
Thanks...that's helpful. Now, i only need to make sure that with 2.5" lift, i don't need an extra relocation bracket on top of the adjustable track bar. I've emailed teraflex about this, and i'll post their response as soon as i get it
I only have a 1.75" lift, but my axles shifted .250" in the front and .500" in the rear! I own the Teraflex Trackbars, I just recieved them 2 days ago (see my photo post).

I was told they are good from 0.000" to 6.000" lifts. I held the front one up to the Jeep last night and it looked to be the stock length with the Heim Joint adjusted all the way in. I guess I'll find out tonight when I install them.

husky~
Old 03-23-2007, 11:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks Huskynox...let me know how it is....
Old 03-23-2007, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Could someone who is in the know post a list of Lifts that are susceptible to this problem (Designed with the bracket being exposed to greater leverage), and an opposing list of lifts that are not susceptible?

I think that would be helpful to those not very knowledgable about lifts/components.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:42 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MichaelW
It would seem to make sense that positioning of the bracket may have less to do with failure than the control arms not doing their job. Meaning that the track bar bracket is breaking because the axle is allowed to wander too much. This also could be from bent wheels/poor rear alignment. The rear track bar is supposed to help center the axle, not hold it there by itself.

Bad or worn out linkages can show them selves as broken track bar mounts as some of the first very apparent problems with the linkages. This is why you should inspect your linkages frequently, particularly on a modified vehicle.

Flexy rod ends will require a stout track bar and more than the factory tin to hold it in place. This is evident from most weld on buildups where the track bar and bracket is significantly beefed up or even not used in the case of triangulated upper control arms (Y or V-link) to take the center job from the removed track bar.
well with ANYTHING for the JK your going to have a track bar take all the abuse of the axle movement side to side since there are no options for a true triangulated 4 link that will handle the dutys of a track bar. so IMO you can have poly bushings on both ends or heims on both ends of a control arm but if your not totaly triangulated then the track bar takes all the work...and as for the track bar not ment to hold the axle in place that it's there to "help hold" well once again IMO that's totaly wrong, a triangulated 4 link is one thing and a 4 link with a track bar is a totaly other thing....
Old 03-24-2007, 02:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RubiconToad
Could someone who is in the know post a list of Lifts that are susceptible to this problem (Designed with the bracket being exposed to greater leverage), and an opposing list of lifts that are not susceptible?

I think that would be helpful to those not very knowledgable about lifts/components.
This list is far from complete, bit I know that Teraflex and Full Traction lifts use a drop bracket (good), and Skyjacker and Rancho use s riser bracket (bad).
Old 03-24-2007, 04:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry if i miss this, but can anybody explain how "Drop Bracket" works? I know that riser bracket attached to the factory bracket. WHere does "Drop Bracket" attached too? and is this a better solution than an adjustable track bar (mounted on stock bracket)?

THanks
Old 03-24-2007, 05:01 AM
JK Junkie

The "drop" bracket attaches to the frame end, which is a stronger attachment point. The Teraflex bracket actually has 4 bolt holes where it attaches to multiple points. It is my opinion that using both a frame mounted bracket along with an adjustable arm would be the best setup. The bracket allows the up and down "track" of the axle to remain near stock, while the adjustable bar allows you to center the axle properly.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks...so i assume that with teraflex drop bracket, you will need some drilling to the frame right?
Old 03-24-2007, 03:28 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bim6180
thanks...so i assume that with teraflex drop bracket, you will need some drilling to the frame right?
No, it uses existing holes at and near the stock location.

Quick Reply: Rear trackbar bracket weak point