Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear trackbar bracket weak point

Old 03-23-2007, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear trackbar bracket weak point

After some more research, i found out that the rear trackbar bracket is a weak point on JK when you lift it. I'm planning on getting 2.5" lift (teraflex or skyjacker), but this issue has been holding me back.

Will this problem be solved if i use an adjustable rear track bar? or this won't make a difference?

Lastly, do i need to worry about this if i just go with 2" lift kit (thinking about rusty's kit)?

Suggestion?
Old 03-23-2007, 07:35 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Not exactly - All the track bar axle bracket that have been breaking have all been from lift kits that use a relocation bracket that attaches to it. To the best of my knowledge, none of the kits that use the frame rail bracket to drop from (as it should in my opinion) have experienced this problem. If you use an adjustable track bar, a relocation bracket will not be needed and you shouldn't have this problem.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

WOL, thanks for the quick reply. I noticed on JKproject that you have a write up on installing adjustable front track bar. Do you happen to plan on doing a write up for Rear adjustable track bar?

Thanks
Old 03-23-2007, 08:24 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have not seen any problems with the track bar brackets yet?
Where are they failing and how many have failed?
What conditions are they failing under?
Are there lift kits installed on these vehicles and were the trac bars installed correct?
Sorry for all the questions just want to know what to look for.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

one particular report that's fresh on my mind is someone installing 2.5" skyjacker kit that comes with Rear bracket relocation kit (using stock track bar).
Old 03-23-2007, 10:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

So, even with adjustable track bar, i still need to get a relocation bracket? is there 2 different kinds of relocation bracket? i'm confused now
Old 03-23-2007, 10:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bim6180
WOL, thanks for the quick reply. I noticed on JKproject that you have a write up on installing adjustable front track bar. Do you happen to plan on doing a write up for Rear adjustable track bar?

Thanks
The rear track bar is done in the exact same manner. The only difference being, or correction should I say......If your axle is off-center by 3/8" (as shown how to measure in the write-up) , you'd only lengthen the adjustable trackbar by approx. half that (3/16") to center your axle.

husky~
Old 03-23-2007, 10:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by huskynox
The rear track bar is done in the exact same manner. The only difference being, or correction should I say......If your axle is off-center by 3/8" (as shown how to measure in the write-up) , you'd only lengthen the adjustable trackbar by approx. half that (3/16") to center your axle.

husky~
Thanks...can i just leave the jeep on the ground when doing this? (just like when you do the front track bar)
Old 03-23-2007, 10:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PhilD
I've heard of a couple of people suffering from this failure. As already mentioned it only appears with relocation brackets that go on the axle end. The add leverage makes it possible to snap the factory mount off the axle. Best off using a relocation bracket at the other end, Teraflex offer one, and an adjustable track bar to get it dialed in perfectly.

As I understand it, you want to limit any increase in track bar angle, hence the need to use a bracket, and not just an adjustable track bar alone.
PhilD, on Quadratec website, it says that the teraflex rear track bar bracket is for 4" or more lift. So, do you think i can get away with this for 2 or 2.5" lift, and just install an adjustable track bar?
Old 03-23-2007, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bim6180
Thanks...can i just leave the jeep on the ground when doing this? (just like when you do the front track bar)
Yes, you can leave it on the ground. With the new track bar set to the correct length you shouldn't have to do much, it should bolt right up. If not, be sure to connect the frame side first, then you can put a jack under either the left or right axle to flex the suspension in the right direction so the axle bracket and track bar bolt hole line up.

If it's a bit too short, jack the right axle, if it's a bit too long, jack the left axle.

husky~

Quick Reply: Rear trackbar bracket weak point