Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear Track Bar Bracket Sheared off Advise

Old 05-31-2008, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Track Bar Bracket Sheared off Advise

I was in Baja over Memorial day weekend There was a poker run in Percebu I hit a whooped de doo a little too fast. I have a 4'' lift. They use a bracket to lift the rear track bar. The bracket mounts to the factory bracket and extends it up. I am not sure if it is to keep the track bar more level or if it is because it is not long enough after the lift. This bracket acts like a pry bar because it adds extra length ie torque.

I have a chain that I used to tie the track bar to the axle. Then limped back to San Felipe. I had the Bracket welded back on for 20 pesos. I brought it to a local shop to have them check the welds when I got back home and they said it looked good. My wife drives the Jeep to work 7mi and around town. I had to go out of town on business and of course I got the call. The Bracket ripped off most of the way but not all the way. When I got home Saturday I took it to my friend's and we re-welded the bracket this time adding gussets for added strength.

I am not sure what to do to fix this problem. I know I have to get rid of the stupid bracket. Do I need to replace the rear track bar with an adjustable bracket? I have read in a thread somewhere about a bracket that drops from the frame side down? What would be the best fix?????????

Last edited by Lensman; 05-31-2008 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:32 PM
JK Newbie

rear adjustable track bar and ditch the bracket! good to go!
Old 05-31-2008, 08:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AUSTIN760
x2
Old 05-31-2008, 08:13 PM
JK Super Freak

You might try looking into Currie's track bar bracket which is a weld on bracket. It is very beefy and may be good for you.

Currie track bar link
Old 05-31-2008, 08:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Just dealt with this!

You can get it rewelded, but it'll just break again. Mine broke and I had it welded. Drove two hundred miles and the weld broke again (No fault of the welder). I was two hundred miles from home when I found the cracked weld.

When I got it welded, I called teraflex and got the Trackbar bracket they sell (got it in about two or three days). It is seriously solid and well engineered. It wraps around the axle and bolts down below.

Lucky for me I had it in the back of the JK and I had my tool bag with me. My brother in law and I installed it in about an hour and a half. Problem solved. The stock bracket basically fell off and is no longer in use.

Check the recent thread "Dana 44 bad news". The guys here helped alot. I can post pic if you want... Good luck!
Old 05-31-2008, 09:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AUSTIN760
you still need to have a bracket on the rear drivers to mount the adjustable track bar to.

Last edited by Rubimon; 05-31-2008 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SW4006
You can get it rewelded, but it'll just break again. Mine broke and I had it welded. Drove two hundred miles and the weld broke again (No fault of the welder). I was two hundred miles from home when I found the cracked weld.

When I got it welded, I called teraflex and got the Trackbar bracket they sell (got it in about two or three days). It is seriously solid and well engineered. It wraps around the axle and bolts down below.

Lucky for me I had it in the back of the JK and I had my tool bag with me. My brother in law and I installed it in about an hour and a half. Problem solved. The stock bracket basically fell off and is no longer in use.

Check the recent thread "Dana 44 bad news". The guys here helped alot. I can post pic if you want... Good luck!

Thanks
Old 05-31-2008, 10:26 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

let me guess....Skyjacker lift?

If so, reweld stock bracket and have it gussetted while you are at it. Then either get and adjustable track bar or skyjackers fix for this. Its a reinforcement bracket plate that bolts over to the differential for more strength.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:27 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lensman
Do you have teraflexes # and a link to the website? I looked and just get a bunch of adds???????

Thanks
Click on the green sponsor link in my signature. Call David @Northridge4x4, he will hook you up! http://www.northridge4x4.com/jk.php

Last edited by Rubimon; 05-31-2008 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rubimon
Click on the green sponsor link in my signature. Call David @Northridge4x4, he will hook you up! http://www.northridge4x4.com/jk.php
Thank you Rubimon

Quick Reply: Rear Track Bar Bracket Sheared off Advise