Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear tire carrier that swings with tailgate

Old 06-19-2013, 01:52 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nobody suggesting the rugged ridge link kit? It's hella cheaper than a full carrier and it's universal.

Sent from my DROID4
Old 06-19-2013, 02:30 PM
JK Freak

Default Swing low sweet cherry pie

Rampage make one too, although I've never seen it in person.

Rampage Products 86606 - Rampage Products Rear Recovery Bumper with Tire Carrier for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Rampage Page 17

If you want to tow you will have to get the Rampage receiver because the factory one won't work.

I thought I wanted my swing-out attached to the gate last year when I started looking for bumpers. Then I thought of how much convenience am I really buying? I ended up getting the non-attached type and like it just fine. The fact that I only paid $785 for the tire carrier, rear bumper AND front bumper was another reason. I did incur the additional cost of moving my license plate (and 3rd brake light) to the spare because the swing-out latch covered part of the plate. (I had to do something with the 3rd brake light anyway with bigger tire... bigger tire coming next week. Original tire in the picture.)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130610_152304_334.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	469807   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130510_174304_570a.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	469808  
Old 06-19-2013, 02:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the teraflex hinged/adjustable tire carrier. MSRP is around $700 I think, but hit up David at Northridge and he can hook you up with a better price. I've been really happy with it so far. Also gives you a little more flexibility as to which rear bumper you go with.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:23 PM
JK Newbie

ACE rear bumper and tire carrier is exactly what you described. I have had it for a few months now and love it. Super easy to install and great customer service.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have AEV and it works great !!
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-721684973.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	469884

Name:	image-969205978.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	469885
Old 06-19-2013, 06:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MAG00

If that's not a typo then that may be the way to go. Is that your jeep in the picture? If so, how do you like this rear bumper/carrier?
That's my rig, and I like the bumper. It's well made and did I mention it rotates on an upper and lower bearing /race that you grease. The spindle is about 12" long with a nice groove that secures the swing arm by a 35mm axel nut. The spindle is welded to the bottom of the bumper, the top of the bumper, and a full height brace between the top and bottom. That spindle is not moving. The axel nut will hold the swing arm in place if you roll or take a hit dropping off a ledge.

The less expensive bumper is less expensive due to design. That swing arm clamps onto a surface bead welded spindle by two bolts. No bearings, just a pressure collar. So what's holding that spindle is a circle weld. That spindle is only 4" high with all the torque around a circle weld on the surface of the bumper. When you hold a bat, do you just use your index finger wrapped around the base, or two hands? Also what keeps the swing arm from jumping off is a 1/4x 3" bolt. Not sure how much abuse those threads can take if your wheel hits a ledge. I don't mind their bumper, my concern is how the spindle is attached.

Just my opinion, but I appreciate good design. If I spent double, I would've purchased Expedition One.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackRockBurner
Attachment 469742

Best Top High Rock bumper and single action tire carrier. It has carried a 35" for 2 years. The spindle is firmly attached and braced the height of the bumper; the nut holding the swing arm is a 35mm axel type with cotter pin; bearings; it is serviceable with a zerk; includes CHML. " Quad " has it listed for $700 but that has to be a typo.

There are less expensive, but that option has the spindle only surface welded. Think of holding a baseball bat with your forefinger wrapped around the base and pushing the top of the bat: the same force a swing arm with 100 lbs. of wheel on it.

X2 on this bumper/tire carrier.

I am also very happy with it.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:46 AM
JK Freak

Name:	tire carrier project07.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	469967

AEV carrier with AEV bumper. Little more than 700 but worh it, IMO.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MtraXX
Attachment 469967

AEV carrier with AEV bumper. Little more than 700 but worh it, IMO.
You can run the TC without the bumper. Did it for 2 years, half with stock bumper, half with no bumper.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mastenp
ACE rear bumper and tire carrier is exactly what you described. I have had it for a few months now and love it. Super easy to install and great customer service.
X2 on this bumper. Just installed mine and I love it. If you get it without the Rigid SR lights, then I think its within your price range. I think the quality is top notch, and it's 1/4" steel. Can't go wrong with this choice IMO.

Quick Reply: Rear tire carrier that swings with tailgate