Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear tire bumpstop

Old 01-05-2013, 08:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear tire bumpstop

Well I got my 315/70/17 GY Duratrac's mounted on ProComp 7069's and went to install the rear tire and I'm having problems. I got the MBRP spare re-enforcement kit and the MBRP tire relocate bracket and installed both. The re-enforcement kit went on super easy, I had read of people having problems snapping the supplied bolts but I managed to break off all the welded nuts with one bolt. Whole process took no more then 30 minutes. I found if you thread the bolt in a little more then 1/4" and just wiggled with a pair of vice grips it snapped off, the instructions say they snap easy I wouldn't say easy but it's not terribly difficult. You just gotta work them around a bit. The hard part is getting your hands in the vent hole to line up the brackets. Anyways after the kit was installed I added the Daystar extended bump stops and tried to mount the spare and this is where my headache started. The tire does not even come close to touching the bump stop. It's out by a good inch. I decided I would ditch the relocate bracket and just mount it on the stock mount. Well it would have worked out perfectly but now the tire hits on the bumper and won't mount up square and it also restricts the movement of the rear gate. Also as you can see in the picture my third brake light is not visible anymore. So now I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem and how you went about fixing it. I thought maybe I could get a 1-1.5" wheel spacer and mount it on the carrier and hopefully it would clear the bumper and also make the brake light visible again. Anyways if anyone else has had a similar problem or has a suggestion I'd greatly appreciate hearing them!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1897.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	405814   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1899.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	405815  
Old 01-05-2013, 08:57 AM
JK Jedi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SpicedCrusher
Well I got my 315/70/17 GY Duratrac's mounted on ProComp 7069's and went to install the rear tire and I'm having problems. I got the MBRP spare re-enforcement kit and the MBRP tire relocate bracket and installed both. The re-enforcement kit went on super easy, I had read of people having problems snapping the supplied bolts but I managed to break off all the welded nuts with one bolt. Whole process took no more then 30 minutes. I found if you thread the bolt in a little more then 1/4" and just wiggled with a pair of vice grips it snapped off, the instructions say they snap easy I wouldn't say easy but it's not terribly difficult. You just gotta work them around a bit. The hard part is getting your hands in the vent hole to line up the brackets. Anyways after the kit was installed I added the Daystar extended bump stops and tried to mount the spare and this is where my headache started. The tire does not even come close to touching the bump stop. It's out by a good inch. I decided I would ditch the relocate bracket and just mount it on the stock mount. Well it would have worked out perfectly but now the tire hits on the bumper and won't mount up square and it also restricts the movement of the rear gate. Also as you can see in the picture my third brake light is not visible anymore. So now I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem and how you went about fixing it. I thought maybe I could get a 1-1.5" wheel spacer and mount it on the carrier and hopefully it would clear the bumper and also make the brake light visible again. Anyways if anyone else has had a similar problem or has a suggestion I'd greatly appreciate hearing them!!
I ended up using Hyline Offroad's spare mount bracket. Nice thing is, comes with optional center third brake light. Works great. If you want to extend your tailgate bumps, slide pvs or abs pipe at desired length over the bumps to contact the tire.
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010952.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	405832
Old 01-05-2013, 08:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 35x12.50 nitto trail grappler on my stock spare carrier. All I used was a 1 1/2" wheel spacer mounted on the carrier and my light is visible. Not the strongest setup but it works for now or until it starts to break
Old 01-05-2013, 09:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

It's pretty clear that with a bigger tire , you won't see the 3rd brake light anymore with the stock brake light . Some companies do make a 3rd brake light extension . I mounted by bigger spare on the stock carrier without reinforcement and bent my tail gate . Now I have a Hanson rear bumper and tire carrier with the same exact bumpstops you have and they fit perfectly .I would not trust the stock carrier even with the reinforcement as my tail gate bent at the hinge , not the carrier itself .I don't know why your tire doesn't lay against the new bump stops . Good luck !
Old 01-05-2013, 09:16 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dahreno
It's pretty clear that with a bigger tire , you won't see the 3rd brake light anymore with the stock brake light . Some companies do make a 3rd brake light extension . I mounted by bigger spare on the stock carrier without reinforcement and bent my tail gate . Now I have a Hanson rear bumper and tire carrier with the same exact bumpstops you have and they fit perfectly .I would not trust the stock carrier even with the reinforcement as my tail gate bent at the hinge , not the carrier itself .I don't know why your tire doesn't lay against the new bump stops . Good luck !
It's not that clear... There are several guys on here who have a 35 mounted and still can see their 3rd brake light without an extension. Also the GY Duratrac is one of the lightest tires in this size (60lbs). I will eventually go to a rear bumper and carrier but for the time being I am pretty satisified with this setup if only it would snug up a little better. Thanks though.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:18 PM
JK Junkie

It's not that clear... There are several guys on here who have a 35 mounted and still can see their 3rd brake light without an extension. Also the GY Duratrac is one of the lightest tires in this size (60lbs). I will eventually go to a rear bumper and carrier but for the time being I am pretty satisified with this setup if only it would snug up a little better. Thanks though.
You may try finding radiator hose that fits tightly over the tire stops and cut them to fit. I think Warrior sells a third brake light extension bracket for the factory set up.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:57 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Gman*2007
You may try finding radiator hose that fits tightly over the tire stops and cut them to fit. I think Warrior sells a third brake light extension bracket for the factory set up.
Meh I hate "band-aid" fixes. I think I will try a wheel spacer before I try to MacGyver things... It's not proper and I hate to try and rig up a fix that "works" rather make it work. I'm gonna go bigger so may as well get a proper carrier just figured that others that have went 35" before have had similar experiences. Guess not..
Old 01-06-2013, 01:05 AM
JK Newbie

I have a duper swamper trxus 35 tire mounted to my stock spare carrier, I have no issues... I mean it just barely clears but it works... Idk
Old 01-06-2013, 04:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Meh I hate "band-aid" fixes. I think I will try a wheel spacer before I try to MacGyver things... It's not proper and I hate to try and rig up a fix that "works" rather make it work. I'm gonna go bigger so may as well get a proper carrier just figured that others that have went 35" before have had similar experiences. Guess not..
I had this same problem with the teraflex relocation bracket. Everyone said theirs worked and they had no idea why mine didn't. Anyways, I bought the Bestop oversized tire carrier ~$200 and not only do the factory bump stops touch again but it has its own stops as well.
I will get a tire carrier/bumper one day but this was the cheapest way to go at the time. I haven't had any trouble with the gate either. I've had mine on almost a year(10,000 miles) and I open and close the rear gate a half dozen times or more a day.

Quick Reply: Rear tire bumpstop