Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear Swaybar links hitting Axle

Old 09-20-2010, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is where they are close (like 1/4" close or a little less) - sorry for the crap quality its a phone pic:

Again, I haven't had a chance to fully test it out, could be that it's fine but I'm not sure, it's damn close!
Old 10-10-2010, 06:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm curious about this too. After installing a new rear driveshaft, I adjusted my pinion angle accordingly. Now, I'm not comfortable with the minute distance between the end links and the axle tube.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

My links are 1/4" away from axle. Under full compression and extension they barely change and never hit. I am runnning 12" travel shocks and they actually travel 11.5". My problem is the links hit the hard brakelines under full compression on both sides.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Found a solution!!!!

Well I'm happy to share my solution for this problem. As noted above, I too had the same issue. Due to the contact between the rear upper control arm mount and the end links, I removed the rear swaybar entirely but that was only a temporary fix. I don't enjoy the increased instability I noticed w/o the bar.

Someone had mentioned curved end links so I started Googling and found that lifted YJs and XJs have the same issue in the front. There are various ways to correct it in the YJ and XJ, but I noticed that Trailmaster makes curved end links specifically to resolve the matter for those lifted Jeeps. The part number for the very difficult to find in stock Trailmaster end links is 40167 and they worked great for me! Again these are marketed for the YJ and XJ so I had to transfer the metal insert from my original aftermarket end links to the new Trailmaster end link in order to prevent the bolt from destroying the bushing. And it was hard to find a distributor that had them in stock, but my patience paid off.

It's all done now, installed, and works great! As you can see, it gave me plenty of clearance between the end link, upper control arm mount, and the axle tube. BTW, you can see at the very corner of the upper mount where the old end link came in contact. I painted over the small area to prevent rust.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
are you saying that the sides of the links are hitting the axle? if so, is it safe to assume you have them mounted on the inside of the mounts as opposed to the outside next to the tire? unless you do not have too much back spacing and cannot mount the links on the outside, that's really where they belong and your problem will be fixed
What about this angle if it on the inside on the bottom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1866620578.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	306202  

Last edited by snopro269; 04-18-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Of I run on inside I'd have to go with a 18.5 long end link and I'm currently running curries longest avail 14
Old 04-18-2012, 07:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snopro269
Of I run on inside I'd have to go with a 18.5 long end link and I'm currently running curries longest avail 14
looks like the bottom is on the wrong side of the bracket.

Quick Reply: Rear Swaybar links hitting Axle