Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear Sway bar, run it or pitch it?

Old 12-21-2012, 04:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2012 4 door Rub, 3 " lift, 35s. I have ran with the rear sway bar on and off a couple of times as I'm always changing something back there.
Removing it will loosen up the ride slightly in the city making it more comfortable when cross threading over some rough pavement ect. Smoother off
road for sure. It I was commuting daily at speed, 70+, I would leave it on for a little less body roll. The majority of people would not notice the difference if
someone stole their rear sway bar in the middle of the night. It is noticable, but nothing like hitting the disconnect switch on the front.

SG

I attached one of my latest Mcguyvers. No more track bar.Click image for larger version

Name:	Floating three link.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	400405
Old 12-21-2012, 05:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Incognito
There was a picture around here somewhere showing a damaged rear axle which was caused due to the sway bar having been disconnected. During extreme articulation apparently the shock broke, which was the only thing holding up the axle. This in turn caused the spring to fall off, the brake line to burst, and the drive shaft to break as well.

EDIT: Found it, on this thread: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...ay-bar-140365/

It appears the shock or shock mount broke - Without the sway bar the full extension of the shock is the down travel limit, same as the front. If the front shock broke, the same damage would happen (Brake Line, ABS, Possibly Drive Shaft, and Spring fall out).

No issues here with out rear sway
Old 12-21-2012, 01:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Alrighty then, so my rear sway is going to be permanently removed - thanks
Old 12-21-2012, 03:24 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by Incognito
Alrighty then, so my rear sway is going to be permanently removed - thanks
you are not going to gain a smoother ride by removing the swaybar, nor flex. You will make your jeep less stable on the highway. I wouldnt remove it, but thats just me
Old 12-21-2012, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by emiles1987

It appears the shock or shock mount broke - Without the sway bar the full extension of the shock is the down travel limit, same as the front. If the front shock broke, the same damage would happen (Brake Line, ABS, Possibly Drive Shaft, and Spring fall out).

No issues here with out rear sway
Si senior.. third jeep without rear sway bar and I've wheeled with many other jeeps without rear swaybar.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:08 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDesertRacer
I have a 2012 4 door Rub, 3 " lift, 35s. I have ran with the rear sway bar on and off a couple of times as I'm always changing something back there.
Removing it will loosen up the ride slightly in the city making it more comfortable when cross threading over some rough pavement ect. Smoother off
road for sure. It I was commuting daily at speed, 70+, I would leave it on for a little less body roll. The majority of people would not notice the difference if
someone stole their rear sway bar in the middle of the night. It is noticable, but nothing like hitting the disconnect switch on the front.

SG

I attached one of my latest Mcguyvers. No more track bar.Attachment 400405

very interesting...
Old 12-21-2012, 04:12 PM
JK Freak

My 95 cherokee came from the factory without a rear swaybar as part of its off road package.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chris@offroadevolution
you are not going to gain a smoother ride by removing the swaybar, nor flex. You will make your jeep less stable on the highway. I wouldnt remove it, but thats just me
Gotta say here, if a representative from Offroad Evolution says not to do it, I'm going to listen. They have quite a bit more experience in this area than most of us. I wouldn't do it.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:56 PM
JK Jedi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 5150cliff
Gotta say here, if a representative from Offroad Evolution says not to do it, I'm going to listen. They have quite a bit more experience in this area than most of us. I wouldn't do it.
exactly, that's why I put up the Link with Wayalife etc saying the exact same thing. With the experience and r&d testing these guys have been involved in, gotta say they do have the most valid view on these topics.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:31 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by 5150cliff
Originally Posted by k0260
exactly, that's why I put up the Link with Wayalife etc saying the exact same thing. With the experience and r&d testing these guys have been involved in, gotta say they do have the most valid view on these topics.
That will always be trumped by "I've been doing it for years; never had a problem. You'll be fine".

Quick Reply: Rear Sway bar, run it or pitch it?