Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear Sway bar, run it or pitch it?

Old 04-10-2011, 08:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Sway bar, run it or pitch it?

I have seen people take the connections off and just leave the bar and run on the street. I've seen others remove all of it and say they don't notice a difference. What do you all think, keep it or pitch it?

I did a search, didn't find thread like this.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

How can it not limit your flex?
You disconnect the front so it can flex, why not the rear also?
Old 04-10-2011, 09:27 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jlarso
How can it not limit your flex?
You disconnect the front so it can flex, why not the rear also?
Have you seen how thin those the rears are? You can twist them by hand. It won't limit your flex because it will twist easily but will give enough stability on highway speeds.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just wanted to chime in on this topic. On my two door I've always felt that the chassis was way too stiff. Whenever I’d hit a bump or a dip on the road with one side of the vehicle, the whole Jeep would rock as though there was no articulation on the axles at all. This in turn caused the Jeep to oftentimes rock side-to-side violently unless in anticipation I slowed down (way down). This as one can imagine, is just not always practical. I have driven numerous straight axle vehicles in my day, but this Jeep has been the roughest by far.

So a few weeks ago I install my AEV lift, renowned for its soft progressive coils and quality Bilstein shocks. Although the overall ride did improve, the Jeep still had the damn stiffness when dealing with uneven irregularities on the road (or off) but it was now even more pronounced due to the lift.

After airing down the tires and hoping the springs & shocks would eventually settle in, I started to explore other possibilities to remedy my problem and eventually looked at the rear sway bar. I took it off this evening and drove to work along the same route I take every day, over the same bumps I always drive over and expecting the consequent rock & roll. I have to say that without the rear sway bar, my Jeep felt like a Cadillac. Yes I did notice some minor body roll but the comfort level improvement was dramatic. I was able to drive over certain parts that always required me to brace myself only this time, without the violent swaying. Needless to say, I’m a very happy camper and glad to have a smooth Jeep now

Now I’m aware of the risks of driving with the rear disconnected off-road, so I’m thinking of maybe re-attaching the sway bar when I take it to the trails, but I’m definitely keeping it disconnected on the pavement.

Last edited by Incognito; 12-20-2012 at 09:13 PM. Reason: The Apocalypse
Old 12-20-2012, 09:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Incognito
Just wanted to chime in on this topic. On my two door I've always felt that the chassis was way too stiff. Whenever I'd hit a bump or a dip on the road with one side of the vehicle, the whole Jeep would rock as though there was no articulation on the axles at all. This in turn caused the Jeep to oftentimes rock side-to-side violently unless in anticipation I slowed down (way down). This as one can imagine, is just not always practical. I have driven numerous straight axle vehicles in my day, but this Jeep has been the roughest by far.

So a few weeks ago I install my AEV lift, renowned for its soft progressive coils and quality Bilstein shocks. Although the overall ride did improve, the Jeep still had the damn stiffness when dealing with uneven irregularities on the road (or off) but it was now even more pronounced due to the lift.

After airing down the tires and hoping the springs & shocks would eventually settle in, I started to explore other possibilities to remedy my problem and eventually looked at the rear sway bar. I took it off this evening and drove to work along the same route I take every day, over the same bumps I always drive over and expecting the consequent rock & roll. I have to say that without the rear sway bar, my Jeep felt like a Cadillac. Yes I did notice some minor body roll but the comfort level improvement was dramatic. I was able to drive over certain parts that always required me to brace myself only this time, without the violent swaying. Needless to say, I'm a very happy camper and glad to have a smooth Jeep now

Now I'm aware of the risks of driving with the rear disconnected off-road, so I'm thinking of maybe re-attaching the sway bar when I take it to the trails, but I'm definitely keeping it disconnected on the pavement.
What are the risks of driving Offroad with the rear sway bars disconnected?
Old 12-20-2012, 09:31 PM
JK Jedi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

this will help explain. I run Full Traction's hd rear sway bar on the middle/medium setting, doesn't inhibit flex what so ever.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...y-bars-206803/

Last edited by k0260; 12-20-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
What are the risks of driving Offroad with the rear sway bars disconnected?
There was a picture around here somewhere showing a damaged rear axle which was caused due to the sway bar having been disconnected. During extreme articulation apparently the shock broke, which was the only thing holding up the axle. This in turn caused the spring to fall off, the brake line to burst, and the drive shaft to break as well.

EDIT: Found it, on this thread: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...ay-bar-140365/

Last edited by Incognito; 12-20-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by k0260
this will help explain. I run Full Traction's hd rear sway bar on the middle/medium setting, doesn't inhibit flex what so ever.
I'm not too concerned with flexing at this point. This is my DD (pavement 99.8% of the time) and I am simply seeking a smoother ride. It appears that other owners on that post experienced similar results after rear sway bar removal.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yup. No rear sway bar here. I pitched it when I lifted the jeep and never looked back. I usually don't tell anyone cause noone would know the difference otherwise. Jeep drives perfectly fine. Now, the front swaybar on the other hand. Its staying for now, till I can get an antirock!
Old 12-21-2012, 01:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Incognito
There was a picture around here somewhere showing a damaged rear axle which was caused due to the sway bar having been disconnected. During extreme articulation apparently the shock broke, which was the only thing holding up the axle. This in turn caused the spring to fall off, the brake line to burst, and the drive shaft to break as well.

EDIT: Found it, on this thread: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...ay-bar-140365/
So why the front shock hold without the front sway bar (disconnected)? Can 't see the difference, for the socks in disconnecting front or rear... The suspension design is the same...
I use quick disco front and keep my rear connected. On my previous 4x4 (troller - from Brazil) I had taken my rear sway bar off. Had no problem in one year on road nor off road.
I keep the rear sway bar because I think it can flex as much as my suspension...

Quick Reply: Rear Sway bar, run it or pitch it?