Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear sway bar hitting brake line bracket

Old 08-06-2012, 08:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear sway bar hitting brake line bracket

I was changing my oil this weekend and giving the jeep its usual inspection since I put the lift on. What I noticed was my rear sway bar seems to be hitting my passenger side extended brake line bracket. I checked the driver side and it has plenty of clearance. I thought the sway bar had shifted to the side a bit, but it does not look like that thing moves side to side at all. Anyone else having or have had this problem?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0539.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	350110
Old 08-06-2012, 09:28 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

your axle is off center and this is causing your sway bar to pull through the bushings to the other side and now allowing it hit the brake line when flexing. this happens as the way bar will twist and angle in. you can pry the sway bar back over but, you will most likely have this problem again unless you address the position of your axle.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the response WOL. Would that still be the case with the new AEV trackbar and bracket? The links seemed to line up perfectly during installation in the back and axle looks strait. I know my front is off center a bit due to the stock trackbar up front. I'll fix that with a JKS but is not interfering with anything like the back is.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:00 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by theZombie
Thanks for the response WOL. Would that still be the case with the new AEV trackbar and bracket? The links seemed to line up perfectly during installation in the back and axle looks strait. I know my front is off center a bit due to the stock trackbar up front. I'll fix that with a JKS but is not interfering with anything like the back is.
is the track bar adjustable? if so, it needs to be set shorter as it would seem that your axle is sitting too far to the driver side.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is definitely your rear track bar and your axle not being centered in reference to the frame. Check out project-jk's write up on installing an adjustable rear track bar. Rubicon express has some good info as well. Measure your distance from the inside of your tire to the frame on each side. If they are not the same, you have a problem. I just dealt with this issue 2 weeks ago and fixed it by adjusting the trackbar correctly.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'll definitely check the measurements as soon as i can. The track bar is not adjustable, but it is made for the 2.5" lift. However i did gain way more than 2.5 inches after the install. I know I'll drop a bit once I put the 35" spare and tire carrier on it.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:29 PM
JK-Forum Founder

I'll definitely check the measurements as soon as i can. The track bar is not adjustable, but it is made for the 2.5" lift. However i did gain way more than 2.5 inches after the install. I know I'll drop a bit once I put the 35" spare and tire carrier on it.
that's not possible or, your track bar relocation bracket was clearly made for more lift than you have. the fact that your passenger side is the side that's being effected suggests that your axle is shifted toward the driver side and that would stand contrary to what you would see if you got more lift than was intended.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just took the measurements and im reading a "+" at a little under 1/4" on the passenger side. From my point of measurements, I have a little over 1.5" on the driver side, and a little under 1.75" on the passenger side. So that means the axle is off center towards the passenger side right? Also im not sure if this is a factor. AEV did not include longer sway links and recommended installing the swaybar components the way they were from the factory, leaving the bar lower and no longer at factory position. Could the short links be pulling the bar one way?
Old 08-06-2012, 01:01 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Just took the measurements and im reading a "+" at a little under 1/4" on the passenger side. From my point of measurements, I have a little over 1.5" on the driver side, and a little under 1.75" on the passenger side. So that means the axle is off center towards the passenger side right? Also im not sure if this is a factor. AEV did not include longer sway links and recommended installing the swaybar components the way they were from the factory, leaving the bar lower and no longer at factory position. Could the short links be pulling the bar one way?
yes, it is possible. the passenger side of your axle will swipe more and the shorter link would cause your sway bar to twist more as well. i don't know what boy genius decided that new rear and taller links wouldn't be necessary but, just about every 2.5" kit i've seen and installed have come with them and the factory rears are typically installed up front. anyway, that might be all that you need to do.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was planning to buy the front quick discos to get rid of the brackets AEV provided for the front, but looks like I'll be ordering the adjustable rear pair as well. Yah I was disappointed as well that no rear sway bar attention was given in the kit.

Quick Reply: Rear sway bar hitting brake line bracket