Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear sway bar disconnects.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear sway bar disconnects.

Why don't I ever hear about rear sway bar disconnects? My thoughts are it would help tremendously with articulation, just as the fronts do.

So, whats the beyond obvious reasoning for not having them? Because I surely cant think of one.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rear swaybar doesn't restrict as much as the front does. I guess most people just don't fool with it because of the little advantage. Maybe someone else can chime in if there is more to it???
Old 10-29-2012, 12:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was asked that question from someone at work today and I gave them that same answer . I wonder how bad it would be if you were to run without the rear swaybar even on the road.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:50 PM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The rear sway bar probably helps more than it hurts off road. A lot of serious wheelers run a lighter rated sway bar in the front to help. Same idea out back.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:10 PM
JK Newbie

The rear sway bar does not limit flex, therefore there is no reason to disconnect it. It is small enough that it flexes as you articulate the rear suspension. You would only lose stability by disconnecting it.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the thoughts fellas.

Originally Posted by project06tj
The rear sway bar does not limit flex, therefore there is no reason to disconnect it. It is small enough that it flexes as you articulate the rear suspension. You would only lose stability by disconnecting it.

So it flexes enough to not hurt articulation, yet is still rigid enough to help with stability. Why not have something like that in the front? I suppose the pro's do.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I haven't had a rear sway bar for over a year and a half. It does increase flex; more down travel. It's a little flighty on the highway but easy to get used to.

No regrets here
Old 10-29-2012, 02:03 PM
JK Newbie

I have to ask, what makes you think it improves flex? Do you have facts to back this up? Before and after measurements?
Old 10-29-2012, 02:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

No i don't have numbers. But now instead of the swaybar limiting the down travel, you get longer shocks which allows a few more inches down. Look under your jeep and you'll understand.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:38 PM
JK Newbie

I can understand how it could net some extra down travel, but up travel will be unaffected. The gain of down travel for the loss of stability is not a sacrifice I'd be willing to make.

Quick Reply: Rear sway bar disconnects.