Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

rear sway bar disconected???

Old 09-26-2007, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear sway bar disconected???

Is running with the rear swaybar links removed safe to do?? Reason being I have a tera 3" and have the issue with the long links(yes they are installed on the inside) and the swaybar is rubbing on the tires, and the link is rubbing on the hard brake line. So untill I get a response from tera is this safe to do?
Old 09-26-2007, 08:07 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You can do it but I wouldn't do it for long. Having your rear end connected is something that you want for stability. Now, when you say your links are making contact with your brake lines, are you sure you have the extension brackets installed correctly? Do you have any pics of this?
Old 09-27-2007, 04:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue with mine, and Tera sent me some shorter links. I did go without them until the new ones arrived.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default rear sway

your rear sway bar is generally softer than the front; but if u remove it the back end will be all over the place off road, and on road could be nasty...

I would guess something isn't installed right... or wrong parts?
Old 09-27-2007, 04:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rear links that Tera is supplying with their 3" lift are about 15" long. This is a problem if you are running narrow wheels with 4.5" of backspacing or more. The upper bolt for the link makes serious contact with the tire sidewall. If you run the links on the inside of the swaybar, the end of the link makes contact wiht the hard brakeline on the outside of the frame when the suspension is compressed. With a wider wheel, which spaces the tire center out more, it's not an issue. At the time I had the problem, I was running 315-70-17 tires on factory moab wheels with Spidertrax 1.5" spacers. They sent me some links that were about 12" long instead and those worked just fine.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

hmmm... i would be too nervous to remove the rear... all of your stability could be lost.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

you have to be NUTS to REMOVE them!
I really havent even noticed that mine are gone i just woundn't go around taking turns like Ricky Bobby, not that you would in a jeep anyway, just drive acordingly

Last edited by FLyellowjk; 10-02-2007 at 01:32 PM.

Quick Reply: rear sway bar disconected???