Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear Sway Bar

Old 08-20-2013, 06:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Sway Bar

So I did some wheeling this past weekend and noticed I wasn't getting as much flex out of my rear end as I thought I would. I have disconnects in the front but nothing in the back. I have read in the past about how some people have disconnected their rear sway bar and left it that way. Is that really ok to do or is it not recommended? When I look at pics when my rear should be flexed out it doesn't even seem close.

Sent from my iPhone
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-660399657.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	490184   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-329325509.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	490185   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4208872041.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	490186  
Old 08-20-2013, 06:52 PM
JK Junkie

It is "ok" to do but the gains are negligible when you consider the likelihood of off camber situations and the loss of stability associated with disconnecting it.

Some people run without it....not the best idea but to each their own. Koh drivers run sway bars, so......

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 4
Old 08-21-2013, 01:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have taken mine out. Is it more tipsy yes. Do I seem to get more flex? Yes. Do I drive it like I would drive a supercar. Or hell even a mustang. No. You need to do what feels comfortable to u and know your limits on ur jeep.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took mine completely off awhile ago. Don't miss it and don't really notice it's gone on the road
Old 08-21-2013, 04:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've run with and without a rear sway bar and there is no noticeable difference in body roll. Might be the spring rates I run on my coilovers that contribute to that though.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:38 AM
JK Jedi

I run no sway bars rear flexes more. On road you wont notice it really if your front is connected but if you have the front out then take the rear you will notice it. It will also possibly lean more on a full tank
Old 08-21-2013, 05:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Flex isnt everything. Sway bars have their pupose even off road. Thats why matched front and rear anti-rocks or similar are really the best way to go.

Without a rear sway bar, yes your rear axle will have an easier time articulating through it's range of travel, but balanced sway bars, or even just a rear provides positive presure to opposing tires during articulation.

To the OP, find a bigger obstacle, your rear will "flex" more.... If you're not 3 wheeling it or lifting tires with more travel in your setup then the sway bar is not hurting you. Removing it will. If you wheel anything off camber, especially with a 4 door, things can get very tippy without some sway restraint. It will happen with any coil sprung suspension, coilovers or regular coil/shock combo, as the springs will always want to unload.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:35 AM
CT2
JK Enthusiast

Look at my sig......this combo flat works.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:03 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by JKred
Flex isnt everything. Sway bars have their pupose even off road. Thats why matched front and rear anti-rocks or similar are really the best way to go.

Without a rear sway bar, yes your rear axle will have an easier time articulating through it's range of travel, but balanced sway bars, or even just a rear provides positive presure to opposing tires during articulation.

To the OP, find a bigger obstacle, your rear will "flex" more.... If you're not 3 wheeling it or lifting tires with more travel in your setup then the sway bar is not hurting you. Removing it will. If you wheel anything off camber, especially with a 4 door, things can get very tippy without some sway restraint. It will happen with any coil sprung suspension, coilovers or regular coil/shock combo, as the springs will always want to unload.
Sway bars also help the off camber scenarios when you go over hills sideways

Edit. Sorry just read the last part....

Quick Reply: Rear Sway Bar